Predator attack-need advice

hope4hope

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 22, 2013
I had a predator attack my chickens last night, it decapitated 3 of them and severely injured another one. My chicken that was attacked my son has renamed, Hope. Hope has lost one eye and the other eye was opened just slightly and is now closed. After laying around she is now standing, has laid an egg and drinks water when it is put next to her beak. I was not sure if she was going to make it but since she is now standing and drinking I am hoping she has a chance. Since her injuries are so close to her eyes (or at least where one was) I am afraid to put cleaning solutions on them. I bought hand feeding formula for birds from the pet store and thought I could try and see if she will drink it tomorrow. I was also wondering if I could give her any pain killers or antibiotics. Please advise, these are the first chickens I have owned, I have separated her from the other chicken so she doesn't attack her. I do not want her to suffer unnecessarily but I would like her to have a chance if she has one.

Decapitating is done by weasles, or so I've been told. I'm sorry for your loss.
Several years ago I had a hen with a severe head injury affecting her eyes. I kept her in a bathtub lined with news paper. I slathered antibiotic ointment on her head a couple times per day. A vet told me to give her an eighth of a baby asprin. I was told that a chicken relies on sight to eat, so I had to force feed her 3 to 4 times per day. I used yogurt and regular feed. She would drink if I dipped her beak in water. Eventually she healed and although her eyelids never worked well after that, I was able to reunite her with the rest of the flock, and she did well.
I send Hope lots of well wishes.

Back
Top Bottom