Predator attack

Absolutely. Depending of the area you are in (i.e.how many/types of predators you have, the temperatures you're dealing with etc, A few times I have missed a chicken/young cockerel/pullet outside of the coop at lights out and in the morning they are fine. Only once I came across a young cockerel with his feet frozen (not sure where he was hiding) but otherwise they are more than capable of surviving outside. Just a couple days ago I failed to check an outside 'coop' and a 3 month old cockerel spent the night out there at-20C. Perfectly fine.
I'd almost bet he won't stay out anymore.

Don't know how old yours are, but I had a 12-16 week standard pullet hide inside a pallet once. She wedged herself between the top and bottom surface of the pallet. The pallet was lying flat on the ground and supporting my treadle feeder - it was one of those that the top and bottom slats are touching each other with no spaces between the slats. Took me 30 minutes to find her in my enclosed covered run that had lots of clutter but no (I thought) actual hiding spaces. That was after I spent 2 hours looking for her outside the run because I thought she must have escaped when I wasn't looking.

That's heartbreaking about your chickens. I hope more of them show back up. I think it's still possible. Good luck!

They can if another predator doesn't find them and they are able to stay warm.
Absolutely. Depending of the area you are in (i.e.how many/types of predators you have, the temperatures you're dealing with etc, A few times I have missed a chicken/young cockerel/pullet outside of the coop at lights out and in the morning they are fine. Only once I came across a young cockerel with his feet frozen (not sure where he was hiding) but otherwise they are more than capable of surviving outside. Just a couple days ago I failed to check an outside 'coop' and a 3 month old cockerel spent the night out there at-20C. Perfectly fine.
That is great to know! Hopefully some show up tomorrow. It is 28 degrees and hopefully no predators get them if they are still alive!

He most certainly won't as I am working hard to have 3D prosthetic legs/feet made for him. If he can't have a quality of life I will cull him, but want to give him a chance if possible.
It is possible but can be expensive. With some birds, giving them Stilts with a flat platform at the bottom can suffice.

Bless your heart for loving him so much!
Not sure if this was directed at me or not. I know the 'bless your heart" comments could have double meaning but I hope I am wrong in this case. I absolutely know I am ridiculous in the view from lifelong farmer eyes. I have a strong attachment to animals be they pet or livestock.

Back
Top Bottom