Predator attacked, scared chickens

Yes it is the attack happened while they were free ranging. The rest of the flock took cover under a big bush behind the garage and it was a hassle to get them into the coop.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, GracieGirl. The same exact thing happened to Feather Feet, my Buff Brahma (my avatar image) two days ago. The consensus is that the predator was a hawk since the attack occurred in broad daylight (11am) and like you, I also found poor Feather Feet with her head missing. My other girls are still very skittish and would flap their wings and run at any sudden movement I accidentally made, especially from above them. I didn't let them out of their run yesterday until I got home from work so I could keep an eye on them. The girls are avoiding the woodsy part of the property where Feather was attacked, which is good. They have been doing their usual pecking and scratching, foraging for food. I gave them all a healthy portion of grapes and blueberries (their favorites) along with some scratch and mealworms in their run to encourage their appetites. At dusk I saw a couple of them eat from the feeder that is inside the coop. I agree with the others: if they seem frightened, keep them in the coop (unless your run is also covered), especially if the hawk is still around. Try feeding them some of their favorite treats to jump start their appetites. Let them free range some, but under supervision. They should come around soon after this traumatic event has passed. Good luck!

This happened to my flock, move the food closer. It took two weeks for mine to completely return to normal. They are more wary of hawks now and I haven't lost another touch wood. Although I restricted their free ranging hours as well and got a pair of geese.

Hi K.Riggs! I'm new to raising chickens (since April, 2017) and I am curious about your post regarding getting a pair of geese. Are they good protectors for a flock? I know the Canada geese can be very nasty during the breeding season and have seen them chase down man and dog alike with such fearlessness.

Sadly we had this happen too. We ended up covering our entire free range area with netting so that I know they are safe. Here is the stuff we used. Best Choice Products 50' X 50' Net Netting for Bird Poultry Aviary Game Pens I bought it on Amazon.

Since our attack happened in the middle of winter and we couldn't get the net up until spring time I made a scarecrow and put it out where the attack happened. I added some scare tape and used a skirt that I kept open with wood so the girls could hide under it if they needed. It worked amazingly well and it made my chickens feel better right away. They ran straight to it for protection when they were out. You should move it often so the hawks don't get used to it. Hope this helps.
IMG_4287.JPG

Sadly we had this happen too. We ended up covering our entire free range area with netting so that I know they are safe. Here is the stuff we used. Best Choice Products 50' X 50' Net Netting for Bird Poultry Aviary Game Pens I bought it on Amazon.

Since our attack happened in the middle of winter and we couldn't get the net up until spring time I made a scarecrow and put it out where the attack happened. I added some scare tape and used a skirt that I kept open with wood so the girls could hide under it if they needed. It worked amazingly well and it made my chickens feel better right away. They ran straight to it for protection when they were out. You should move it often so the hawks don't get used to it. Hope this helps.
View attachment 1147970

What a great idea! I am going to try that. I also read about hanging CDs in the trees to scare away the hawks so I think I will do that as well. The netting is a nice idea, except their free range area is over 1.5 acres, so not very practical for me. There is a metal roof over their run so they are safe there. My hen that was attacked was a fur piece from the coop so most unfortunately she didn't have a chance to run to it. Thanks for your advice even though I didn't start the thread.

Hi K.Riggs! I'm new to raising chickens (since April, 2017) and I am curious about your post regarding getting a pair of geese. Are they good protectors for a flock? I know the Canada geese can be very nasty during the breeding season and have seen them chase down man and dog alike with such fearlessness.

Hi, I have found them very useful in helping with predators. They are very watchful for predators in general and quickly raise the alarm. If anything is amiss I know. My chickens are not very predator aware at all, the roos a little better than the hens but still not great. They quickly learned to take cover if the geese sound the alarm but I must say it happens rarely as I have found the cat that used to come around no longer does and we have not had a hawk come on the property since we got them. They sit in the tree tops in surrounding pastures but won't come in. I would suggest a medium to large breed for intimidation of predators, and a pair male and female will be happiest in my opinion. Mine are Embden/Roman Tufted gander and Embden/Toulouse goose. Mine are not human aggressive at all and are not chicken aggressive. Ask to make sure when you get them and ask how well they can fly, I was told by many they can't but it can depend on the bird, mine could fly well enough to take out a power line which happened to the previous owners so I have their wings clipped for their own safety. Overall for me they were a great choice and I am very happy with them.
IMAG3853~2.jpg
IMAG3853~3.jpg

Thanks for the advice everyone I might try the scare crow and CD's in the trees. The net won't work for me either as I also have about 1.5 acres for them to run around. Thank you guys for all your support, it really helps!!!!!

You could also hang sheets, fabric, old clothes in various places on posts around the acreage to help deter overhead predators.

So sorry this happened guys. Be careful once a predator has gotten a kill/meal in one spot they remember it and will return. Birds of prey are protected but air horns, fire crackers and other such noises can deter them.

Also tieing Walmart bags securely (make sure they don't fly away) can help. Make sure there's a hole in the bottom of the bag or they can fill with water if it rains, and check them regularly. cds or other shiny objects tied around the yard can also be deterrents.

Hawks can and will sometimes attack when people are present.

Guinea fowl are great watch dogs but can be quite noisy and aren't a good thing to have in town. Your neighbors may burn your house down lol. Personally I enjoy our guineas but we are out in the country with lots of space. And the noise doesn't bother me. They don't like strangers but usually don't make much noise unless something is amiss. I will also add if you have cats they'll scream if they see them in the windows lol

Back
Top Bottom