Predator - Comb Injury

By looking at the predator threads, it could be raccoon, possum or weasel.
I don't know how you feel about it, but you may want to try a trap. Of course you will have to dispatch whatever you catch.
I would think whatever it is, it will most likely return.
My friend has a trap, I will get that from her and try to trap the predator. I have no problem relocating it into the hills nearby just don't want it in my yard. I will do my best to be ready for their return, thanks for all your advice and time.

Your welcome
smile.png

Please keep us updated on the progress of your girls.
I hope they recover with no problems.

Your welcome
smile.png

Please keep us updated on the progress of your girls.
I hope they recover with no problems.
Ok it's time for an update, "Wing" our speckled sussix with the eye.cheek injury is well on the mend. She can open her eye although it is very weak and the swelling in her cheek has gone down. "Gloria" our americana is still a work in progress. Her head has scabbed over and she has some new feather growth in a few spots. Amazingly through all this Gloria continue's to lay her daily egg. I did have to put her on isolation because one of my hens was just being a BULLY but, I let her out yesterday because we are having a major heat wave and the crate is too big for the shaded areas of the run. I found her sitting in the crate in her water bowl because of the heat. Mean girl is still aware of her injury becuase she keeps chasing her down. I am monitoring both the hens still but they both seem to be on the mend. Thanks to all your advice my son seems to have mended them both back.

The coop has since had a few adjustments and the dogs have been having a blast chasing things out of the hen run in the middle of the night. Grateful the weather has been warm enough for the dogs to have evening freedom to go in and out of the house. The hens even acquired a kid swimming pool (100+ heat is no fun) which has been fun to watch them in the water.

Thanks again!

Ok it's time for an update, "Wing" our speckled sussix with the eye.cheek injury is well on the mend. She can open her eye although it is very weak and the swelling in her cheek has gone down. "Gloria" our americana is still a work in progress. Her head has scabbed over and she has some new feather growth in a few spots. Amazingly through all this Gloria continue's to lay her daily egg. I did have to put her on isolation because one of my hens was just being a BULLY but, I let her out yesterday because we are having a major heat wave and the crate is too big for the shaded areas of the run. I found her sitting in the crate in her water bowl because of the heat. Mean girl is still aware of her injury becuase she keeps chasing her down. I am monitoring both the hens still but they both seem to be on the mend. Thanks to all your advice my son seems to have mended them both back.

The coop has since had a few adjustments and the dogs have been having a blast chasing things out of the hen run in the middle of the night. Grateful the weather has been warm enough for the dogs to have evening freedom to go in and out of the house. The hens even acquired a kid swimming pool (100+ heat is no fun) which has been fun to watch them in the water.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the update
smile.png

I'm glad they both are on the mend.

I know the heat has been terrible for lots of folks. I have fans (one in the coop window, other outside the run-under roof), they help with air circulation and the chickens seem to stand enjoy the air blowing during the heat of the day. (I don't free range). Cold/frozen "treats" are popular was well, watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumber, keeps them busy.

Since Miss Meanie is aware of Gloria's wound, I don't know if some Blue Kote will help or not. Some people use it to help "hide"injuries to help prevent picking. I've only used it on a small cut on a comb, and no one bothered it, but...a large area, I'm not sure if it will help. Just a thought.

I'm glad Wing is able to open the eye, even though it may be weak, it sounds like she may have avoided getting an infection, which is always a concern with eye injuries.

So happy everything is going well for you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom