predator defense?

jshaddix88

Chirping
5 Years
May 19, 2014
Nokomis, Florida
I am starting to let my older pullets free range when I am outside with them. Today the blue jays started to go crazy in a tree in the next yard over. My chickens got low to the ground under a fern and started to coo or purr almost to the other chicken that was out in the open. That chicken then started to coo back and almost low crawl to get to the others. Is this a type of warning system they use to warn of danger? They all set flat on the ground until I picked them up and put them in the coop.

Your post brings two things to my mind: One, that newbies to our flock are skittish of things that the experienced birds ignore, such as running to hide every time a car goes down the road, which they later learn to totally ignore. The other is the warning sounds - our roos will growl as a warning when they think there might be trouble, usually from above. This tends to send everyone running for cover. I was standing in the middle of the yard one day, right next to one of our roos, when he let out a big growl and ducked down. I looked up just in time to see a bald eagle swoop down within a foot or two of my head. Next time, I duck too.

My chickens, now 15 months old, will call a warning when they feel threatened. They run into the bushes to hide and then when the danger has passed they begin to call to each other until they are back together. We only allow our chickens to free range when we are home, just in case....

I am starting to let my older pullets free range when I am outside with them. Today the blue jays started to go crazy in a tree in the next yard over. My chickens got low to the ground under a fern and started to coo or purr almost to the other chicken that was out in the open. That chicken then started to coo back and almost low crawl to get to the others. Is this a type of warning system they use to warn of danger? They all set flat on the ground until I picked them up and put them in the coop.

Best option for avoiding raptor is to seek cover. Second best option when in open is to freeze. The calls noted are intended for close range communication only and indicate threat is very close but not incoming. The low crawl reduces profile making you harder to see by predator. Sometimes birds will hunker down for hours after a close call especially when no one gives the all clear call.

Third best option is to run once detected and targeted.

When operating from cover you sometimes have the option to bluff by making lots of racket at predator and even fighting back.

Back
Top Bottom