Predator deterrent cheap and easy

We are having a problem with snakes around our property but haven't seen any in the coop/run. I've been told to put lime (Lyme?) out to deter the snakes. Before I do, is it safe to put it near the chickens?

How large are the snakes? I know with my girls anything less than a large bull snake wouldn't stand a chance (you can't believe what they do with mice when they catch 'em).

How large are the snakes? I know with my girls anything less than a large bull snake wouldn't stand a chance (you can't believe what they do with mice when they catch 'em).

We had a 2 1/2-3ft rattler the other day and a 5 ft chicken snake yesterday. The dogs cornered them both times and we were able to kill them but I'm terrified of snakes. I'm willing to try anything to prevent them from even coming around as long as it's safe for my pets.

My husband built a run on to our coop (which has double-wired windows and doors). He attached a hinged 18" wide wooden lip at the bottom all around the perimeter made out of 1/2" plywood. Dogs, coons, etc. cannot tunnel under. It's too heavy for them to lift, yet we can lift and hook to the run (he fitted it with screendoor hooks/eyes) if we want to mow around it. This has worked wonderfully for us. We've had no trouble with any predators (and we even have coyotes near us).

Can you post a picture of your setup? We have seen a fox recently and I'm terrified it will get my newly established and beloved flock of girls.

I think you should buy barbed wire fence and wrap it around 2x8s that are 10 foot and lay them around the coop and put up two or three cuatine signs

Back
Top Bottom