Predator Got Mama & 2 chicks, Now one is all alone

eeckenrode

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 19, 2011
I had something break into the coop last night and take the 2 full grown chickens I had sleeping on the coop floor along with two 2 week old chicks. The mama was one of the missing chickens and now there is one chick all by itself. I have 18 more hens and 2 roosters that seemed to being doing fine with the chicks in the coop. My question is will the baby chick be ok by itself? I'm not sure how it's going to fend for itself and what it's going to do at night for warmth as it was still sleeping under mama at night... Any advice?

Sorry for your loss. If another hen wont take care of the chick I would bring it inside to a brooder set up. Set your traps!

I'm just afraid if I bring it inside in a brooder it will be more stressed by being all alone...

If you only have one and none will take care of it, be ready for a lot of noise! I have a chick that wont stop cheeping. It's all alone because we got a lot of eggs and only it servived. If you just get an incubating light and put it outside inside its own coop with an old towl/blanket it will be just fine.
frow.gif
Good luck!

Scratch that. I just found another one. So there are two chicks left. I'll keep an eye on them and if they aren't being cared for I'll put them in the brooder. Too bad though since they were doing so well in the coop with the other chickens! Also, any idea what would have carried off 2 full grown chikens and a chick without leaving anything but feathers? It had to have gotten in under the chicken wire in the run...

Back
Top Bottom