Predator ID help

Kieh12

Chirping
Mar 25, 2015
Whatever it is did NOT get my chickens, but it did take down a wild turkey that was about 100yds away from my girls.

I found it this morning. There were scattered feathers from about 15ft away from the carcass. The head and innards are gone, but the breast n legs of the turkey are intact. There have been a lot of possums lately n my husband spotted a large raccoon last night. But we are heavily wooded n have a little bit of everything.

My girls are in their coop overnight now n the bottom of the run had welded wire so nothing can dig it's way in. But still worried about them. This was a good size turkey n it was awfully close to my girls.

That sounds a lot like the methods of a raccoon. If it were to get to your chickens, it would kill them all and then leave the bodies. An opossum would be more likely to drag the kill off to feed. If it were a coyote you would have only found feathers most likely.

Whatever it is did NOT get my chickens, but it did take down a wild turkey that was about 100yds away from my girls.

I found it this morning. There were scattered feathers from about 15ft away from the carcass. The head and innards are gone, but the breast n legs of the turkey are intact. There have been a lot of possums lately n my husband spotted a large raccoon last night. But we are heavily wooded n have a little bit of everything.

My girls are in their coop overnight now n the bottom of the run had welded wire so nothing can dig it's way in. But still worried about them. This was a good size turkey n it was awfully close to my girls.

The pattern of post mortem consumption sounds like a possum. I would be only mildly surprised if a possum tackled a hen turkey.

Back
Top Bottom