Predator in Sugar land, Tx and protection against them?

JianWG

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2021
Hi, I am a beginner in raising chicken and got a few hens last fall. They grown up pretty healthy and well in my backyard (they are freeroam). My current concern is that since Spring and Summer is coming, I am afraid that there will be hawks and other predator that will come and hunt my hens (as they already grabbed one of my new chicks during last fall). Since local wildlife here is protected and not allowed to be hunted (and that I personally don't like killing), I am looking for a method to discourage, hide, and/or protect my chickens from potential predators. Is there any backyard chicken raiser here in Sugarland Tx that know what to do against these predators? Thanks.

I’m not in TX, but predator control is pretty universal, in my opinion. For aerial predators, the safest bet is in a covered run. If that’s not an option, it’s good to have places they can run for cover. Shrubs abs bushes, pallets on cement blocks, etc. For ground predators, electric wire is your friend. We have electric around our runs. A good, safe coop is important at night to prevent against nocturnal predators. If you are going to free range, be prepared for occasional losses. I am not opposed to free ranging. I let my chickens free range, too.

I have nests for the chickens in the house and we bring them home when night comes, my biggest worry is hawks and other predators during daytime. We have some bushes but I am not sure if that's enough for the chicken to hide. I will try build some other covers, altho I probably can't build any big structures

the hawks will only get chicks. only rarely will they eat a full grown hen
I respectfully disagree with this. A hawk will kill a full grown chicken as easily as it will take a chick. The difference is, they will eat the adult chicken at the kill site rather than carry it off like they can a chick. Do a search and you will find many posts on hawks killing adult chickens.

ive had a problem with, hawks, and they only took chicks, i have heard of stories of a hen grabbed by a hawk, but lived. i never had a hawk kill a full grow hen, maybe bc my girls have a good cover.

Hi, I am a beginner in raising chicken and got a few hens last fall. They grown up pretty healthy and well in my backyard (they are freeroam). My current concern is that since Spring and Summer is coming, I am afraid that there will be hawks and other predator that will come and hunt my hens (as they already grabbed one of my new chicks during last fall). Since local wildlife here is protected and not allowed to be hunted (and that I personally don't like killing), I am looking for a method to discourage, hide, and/or protect my chickens from potential predators. Is there any backyard chicken raiser here in Sugarland Tx that know what to do against these predators? Thanks.
:welcome :frow I realize that this post is over a month old. Hope all is well with your birds. This is the time of year when predators are looking for mates and having their young so are apt to be out hunting day and night. A word of caution. When you free range it is likely you will loose a bird sooner or later. Some people go quite a long time before their birds are discovered. It's a risk you take. Lessons learned the hard way. I do have several game cameras up on my property and see a predator most nights when they roam here but have also lost birds during the day. Now I have nice large covered pens. Good luck...
http://www.poultrydvm.com/featured-infographic/tips-for-protecting-poultry-from-predators

Back
Top Bottom