Predator injury

Malstot

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2020
One of our 20 week old pullets flew out of the run and was attacked by a predator. We believe it was a hawk. We couldn’t find her for awhile but she eventually flew back into the run. She had a wound on her back between her wings. We put an ointment on it and put her back in with the rest of the girls (9 of them). The next morning the would was worse and she had a much bigger wound down by her tail feathers. She was being pecked by the other girls. We put her in dog crate to separate her from the others but left her in the coop. The wounds are improving but still open. She still has large area with no feathers. When can I let her back in with the rest of the flock? Is this typical flock behavior?

My mom used to mix something , I don't know what she put in it but if the chickens pecked at it, they didn't like the taste and stopped pecking.
Added- she added a drop off red food coloring and put some on the chickens. What ever it was, it was butter and the chickens stopped pecking at blood and she actually left that chicken in with the others and it was able to heal.

Last edited:
When chickens see blood, they will continue to peck.
I would keep her separate until the wound is healed.
You could try Vetericyn to help heal the wounds.
Thank you! I have used Vetricyn and it seems to be working. Also used Allushield to protect. I’ll keep her in the crate until healed.

Back
Top Bottom