Predator killed all my chickens, please help!!

dukell71

Hatching
Feb 10, 2023
Hi friends,

My wife and I have been keeping chickens and ducks in our backyard (we have 6ft tall fences around the yard). Usually, we let them free range during the day when we're home and put them inside the coop at dusk. In the past year, we've had a couple chickens/ducks here and there fall victim to predators (raccoon, fox, etc.) but yesterday an unknown predator (we think it might be a fox or coyote) came and killed all our birds while free-ranging except one drake who managed to survive. The attack happened in the early afternoon and the chickens/duck were all taken from different places (feathers were all in different spots). We had 4 chickens and 2 ducks and now only the drake is left. He seems super sad and lonely. We have a few questions that if you guys can help us with, we would really appreciate it!

1. We do have 4 female ducklings (1-2 weeks old) that we recently got. What's the earliest we can introduce them to our adult drake? In the meantime, do we NEED to get another adult companion for the drake or will he be fine until we can introduce the ducklings to him?
2. Are there any ways to keep our poultry safe when free-ranging? I know we can get a run but we would prefer to free range them if possible for their health/enjoyment.
3. I heard that geese can be effective deterrents to predators. Is that true? If so, how many should we keep and which sex?
4. How loud are geese during most of the day? Are they a lot louder/more vocal than chickens/ducks? Just worried that it might bother our neighbors...
5. Is it ok to house the goose(s) in the same coop as chickens or ducks?

Thanks so much!

Hi friends,

My wife and I have been keeping chickens and ducks in our backyard (we have 6ft tall fences around the yard). Usually, we let them free range during the day when we're home and put them inside the coop at dusk. In the past year, we've had a couple chickens/ducks here and there fall victim to predators (raccoon, fox, etc.) but yesterday an unknown predator (we think it might be a fox or coyote) came and killed all our birds while free-ranging except one drake who managed to survive. The attack happened in the early afternoon and the chickens/duck were all taken from different places (feathers were all in different spots). We had 4 chickens and 2 ducks and now only the drake is left. He seems super sad and lonely. We have a few questions that if you guys can help us with, we would really appreciate it!

1. We do have 4 female ducklings (1-2 weeks old) that we recently got. What's the earliest we can introduce them to our adult drake? In the meantime, do we NEED to get another adult companion for the drake or will he be fine until we can introduce the ducklings to him?
2. Are there any ways to keep our poultry safe when free-ranging? I know we can get a run but we would prefer to free range them if possible for their health/enjoyment.
3. I heard that geese can be effective deterrents to predators. Is that true? If so, how many should we keep and which sex?
4. How loud are geese during most of the day? Are they a lot louder/more vocal than chickens/ducks? Just worried that it might bother our neighbors...
5. Is it ok to house the goose(s) in the same coop as chickens or ducks?

Thanks so much!
Im
So sorry for your loss
The drake may be in a bit of shock from the situation
Keeping him in a dark quiet place to calm would be best till he settles after that
Could you place the drake where he can see the younger ducklings but not touch. After 3-4 weeks you can try letting them out together but watch them
He should accept them by then as he will enjoy having friends again
As for securing look up coyote roller fencing on YouTube
Very easy to put up and stops them from jumping the fences

Get a dog and Raise the new birds with the dog. My American bull dog gave day old chicks kisses everyday. She goes in the coop with me no problem and no problems with free ranging in the yard. They only free range when I'm out.
I have a 6x14, walk in, roofed armored open coop/run and I have a 10x30 open animal wire with hawk net run. I have little reason to expect much loss in my run. Free range you are rolling the dice.
once a predator knows where you are, he will be back.
animal wire with electric fencing and a farm dog is your best bet.
The dog will protect what is part of the pack. You are pack leader so raise the baby birds with your dog as part of the pack.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I personally have a gander and he is a good deterrent against areal predators. Our dogs are also intimidated by him lol. If you want to keep geese, I would only get one and hand raise it so that he won't go after you.

Re #s 3 & 4: I raise geese on acreage. They can be enthusiastically vocal creatures, especially during breeding season.

While there are differing opinions on the matter, I favor geese having companions of their own kind, for a number of reasons - if you haven't already seen it, this article by Pyxis discusses the myth of the "guard goose". I've had geese range with ducks and found them to be effective aerial predator deterrents, but they're not livestock guardians.

If you're dealing with foxes, you may want to consider a secure run setup. While my flock initially free ranged, I moved them into a aviary netting-covered run because of heavy hawk and fox pressure and have had no losses to predators since.

I am very sorry for your losses and for your remaining drake. He is likely extremely traumatized and needs a quiet, safe place to recover.

I would use the look-but-don't-touch method of introducing him to the ducklings -- but not until they get some more size to them -- and begin by giving them supervised time together until you're sure he is okay with the youngsters and vice versa. Not knowing the size or breed of your duck, even a docile drake could accidentally injure a tiny duckling.

Totally in agreement with @FoodFreedomNow regarding goose livestock guardians. My American Buffs do alert when eagles fly overhead, probably for their own protection, but they generally have no interest in protecting the ducks or chickens. And, they wouldn't think of running off any mammals; they just stare at feral cats that wander across the property.

My poultry only "free range" during the day and when I am at home and can see their escapades from the house windows. There are coyotes, minks, possums and raccoons aplenty here, along with nesting eagles, less than a mile away, and as well as hawks and owls. Although the bull snakes haven't eaten any of my chicks, I did catch one raiding a robin's nest in one of my shrubs.

Some rats a few years ago convinced me to use hardware cloth anywhere and everywhere. Everything wants to eat your birds and/or their eggs. Livestock guardians are good, but I think fortified runs and coops are better.

I hope your boy feels safe soon, and that he and the ducklings can, at some point, be okay together.

Welcome!
I'm so sorry for your losses, it's tough when this happens.
Free ranging is always risky, and nothing will make it perfectly safe. Having a predator proof coop and run is essential, because there will be times when your birds must be locked in. Like now, for example.
Electrified poultry netting is very good against ground predators (see Premier1Supplies.com), is set up properly, and legal in your neighborhood. Netting helps keep raptors out, also good. One or two livestock guardian dogs, trained and fenced on your property, are far and away the most expensive option, and take maybe two years to be safe and trained.
Geese are neat animals, but won't save your ducks from predators. They will make a lot of noise, and some will chase people, not so good.
Most of us have started with birds and had losses that were due to our inexperience, and lack of safe housing for them. It's a nasty learning curve!
Mary

I allow my chickens to free range all the time. Their best friends are my Great Pyrenees dogs and would highly recommend the breed for protecting and watching your flock. Sleeps with them, follows them around and is their best friend. Another thing would be good fencing with a additional electric wire top and bottom. Another really good thing is a good 22 rifle, a 12 gauge and a deer rifle depending on where you live. I have also heard that donkeys make good protectors but I have never had one.

I allow my chickens to free range all the time. Their best friends are my Great Pyrenees dogs and would highly recommend the breed for protecting and watching your flock. Sleeps with them, follows them around and is their best friend. Another thing would be good fencing with a additional electric wire top and bottom. Another really good thing is a good 22 rifle, a 12 gauge and a deer rifle depending on where you live. I have also heard that donkeys make good protectors but I have never had one.
My brother's never lost any livestock with donkeys.They're not fond of strangers so never let strangers in the same fence with them.They're mean enough to kill a boar hog

bantam chickens are (mostly) able to defend for themselves against foxes if they have one or (eve better) a few roosters, and tall trees around to fly to a safe place where the fox can't climb. You can lost some ambushed here and there but not all at once normally.

Ducks and geese need water and is cruel not provide them with some pool at least. The bigger the pool, the most safe will be from mr foxy. If you have space, build a decently sized one. It will benefit also chicken immensely.

Back
Top Bottom