1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Predator proof chicken run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tootie123, Aug 27, 2012.

1. joker468

joker468 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2014
    I put an electric fense on my chicken coop. I went around the bottom and top with it. I use a solar powered electric fence zapper. also keep the door open 24/7 by placing several nite guard solar powered red flashing lights around the door. the light keeps predators away. Now I can free range my chickens. I do lose some during the day as they like to go into the woods and scratch in the leaves but not many.
    Funny thing, the very day I put power to my coop, no sooner the sun went down came a very strong smell of skunk. Have not had any critters in my coop since I electrified it. I also grounded the fencing unit right to the coop wire.
    I have had one black snake inside since I put juice to it. I believe it came thru a small hole in the house floor. If I fix that hole I imagine the juice will even keep snakes out.

2. ReneeL

ReneeL New Egg

Oct 3, 2015
    I am envious of your workmanship. You did a beautiful job on this!

3. foglong

foglong New Egg

Mar 14, 2017
    I have a run that is all weld metal and no wood. How do I connect an apron wire weld mesh, about 2 feet out in L shape to keep animals from digging under. Someone told me to use tie wraps but I think this wouldn't be strong or with stand the weathering.

4. jolly wattles

jolly wattles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2017
    West Tennessee
    They do make uv rated tie wraps. Can get em at any hardware store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by