Predator proof wire corn crib for run

DoeAndGander

Songster
5 Years
May 24, 2017
Southern Minnesota
Hello! I've been kicking around the idea of turning an old wire corn crib into a run (see attached). Has anyone done this before? Any ideas on the best way to predator proof? Being a radius, i bet it would take a lot of hardware cloth along the parameter. And I'm assuming I'd need to go all the way up to top because of larger gaps on outer walls. Maybe this isn't such a genius idea after all lol

Attachments

• 20170523_191832.jpg
    20170523_191832.jpg
    598.7 KB · Views: 64
Looks like its got some wire already...

measure the diameter by running a tape across the widest part you can find. Then take that number and multiply it by 3.14

so if the crib is 10 feet across the amount of wire to cover the outside would be 31 feet. I would round up to the nearest five feet. Then depending on how high you want the hardware cloth you might have to buy two lengths to cover the height.

If your poultry goes in for the night Id do hardware cloth only around the base.

But dang If I had a water proof structure like that I would convert it to the hen house....
but thats me....:pop

deb

Great advice from Perchie, and depending on where you live, I also think it would make a great coop. Including your general location under your avatar helps, not only with this question but more generally.

Looks like its got some wire already...

measure the diameter by running a tape across the widest part you can find. Then take that number and multiply it by 3.14

so if the crib is 10 feet across the amount of wire to cover the outside would be 31 feet. I would round up to the nearest five feet. Then depending on how high you want the hardware cloth you might have to buy two lengths to cover the height.

If your poultry goes in for the night Id do hardware cloth only around the base.

But dang If I had a water proof structure like that I would convert it to the hen house....
but thats me....:pop

deb

Thanks for the welcome! I'm in rural Southern Minnesota. I definitely agree, I would love to make it my hen house (that was my first idea as well) our winters can be harsh at times but of course I'm open for suggestions! Throw them at me. It definitely has wire going all the way up I just wasn't sure how small the wire had to be. I thought maybe I could put a coop beside it some how. My original coop idea (before I stumbled upon this) was a simple A frame to house 10 or so hens. I live on 5 acres surrounded by fields and ponds. I've only lived here since January and I've seen quite a bit of wildlife already so I want to be sure it's secure. Thank you for your help!

Having a structure to start with is wonderful! If the roof is good, it will make a nice coop, or an attached run. Hardware cloth over all is your best bet, unless you will have a separate coop, and lock them in every night. Is it on a concrete foundation, or will it need a dig-proof base? Plastic sheeting is not beautiful, but double thickness clear sheeting works very well to block wind, rain, and snow in winter, and can be left open at the top 12" or so for ventilation. Mary

Having a structure to start with is wonderful! If the roof is good, it will make a nice coop, or an attached run. Hardware cloth over all is your best bet, unless you will have a separate coop, and lock them in every night. Is it on a concrete foundation, or will it need a dig-proof base? Plastic sheeting is not beautiful, but double thickness clear sheeting works very well to block wind, rain, and snow in winter, and can be left open at the top 12" or so for ventilation. Mary

In all honesty I have yet to check the roof! I saw it and my wheels started turning. The grain bin does not have a base. I will have to find a way to haul it as well being it's off-site. No matter which road I go, I would feel more secure locking them in at night.

Before seeing this structure, I had a 6x8 hen house with a run (constructed mostly with posts and hardware cloth) sketched out. I've been collecting material for a few months now. I'd love to use reclaimed material but also want it to look somewhat pleasing to the eye being that it will be out in the open and not tucked behind a building if that makes sense. I love the look of old outbuildings. Two came with the house but neither of them are structurally sound. So far I have corrugated roofing tin, 2x6's (can be ripped down to 2x3's), 3/4 outdoor plywood, single pane windows, a few exterior doors to choose from, washers and screws.

I've been browsing online for inspiration as I'm a very visual person. The grain bin is roughly 10 x 10. If I were to put a coop on the side I may have issues attaching it but I found a few inspiration photos
20170531_101518.png
20170531_101646.png
20170531_101712.png

Stand inside the structure and look up... if you see places where light comes through that can be patched... Old screw holes or rust rot.

Since you have to move it then this will be a perfect time to analyze how much rust you have going and You may need to replace one or two of the posts. But seriously just a good pressure wash some dinging out of sharp edges and it would be a wonderful art piece/coop/run.

invest in some rust inhibitor paint or coating.... There are some good ones that covert rust to a material that can be painted over.

Since you live in Minnesota I would go with hardware cloth all the way up.... Mink and weasesls are an issue.... Stoats as well. Stoats can get through an opening under an inch in diameter. They are in the weasel family if I am not mistaken.

for digging predators you can put an apron around the base of the structure. Foxes and Dogs come to mind.... Coyotes as well. I would also add a ring of hot wire around the base....

I am in the desert so I have Bob Cat, Mountain Lion, Coyotes, Raccoons, Weasels, Feral Dogs, I know there are foxes in the desert but I never have seen one. I have lost three whole flocks over the past twenty years. I have been without poultry for about four years now. I need to rebuild, I will be fortifying my next structures.

deb

Back
Top Bottom