Predator proof wire corn crib for run

Stand inside the structure and look up... if you see places where light comes through that can be patched... Old screw holes or rust rot.

Since you have to move it then this will be a perfect time to analyze how much rust you have going and You may need to replace one or two of the posts. But seriously just a good pressure wash some dinging out of sharp edges and it would be a wonderful art piece/coop/run.

invest in some rust inhibitor paint or coating.... There are some good ones that covert rust to a material that can be painted over.

Since you live in Minnesota I would go with hardware cloth all the way up.... Mink and weasesls are an issue.... Stoats as well. Stoats can get through an opening under an inch in diameter. They are in the weasel family if I am not mistaken.

for digging predators you can put an apron around the base of the structure. Foxes and Dogs come to mind.... Coyotes as well. I would also add a ring of hot wire around the base....

I am in the desert so I have Bob Cat, Mountain Lion, Coyotes, Raccoons, Weasels, Feral Dogs, I know there are foxes in the desert but I never have seen one. I have lost three whole flocks over the past twenty years. I have been without poultry for about four years now. I need to rebuild, I will be fortifying my next structures.

deb

Thank you for all your help! I greatly appreciate it. I've never even heard of a stoat. I will have to do some research on that. I've already been told I'm borderline crazy with all this research and coop ideas... think of what they'll say when I tell them I want to put an electric wire around the bin!? LOL hey! Whatever keeps my ladies safe :D

This is what I had in mind for a coop (before the grain bin idea came about) but with different proportions and smaller windows of course
20170531_102239.png

Big windows are good! Hardware cloth covered openings work fine too, and a double layer of clear plastic works to block winter weather. Not beautiful, but inexpensive. Habitat Restores can have very good deals on doors, windows, and hardware, and paint or stain. Mary

Big windows are good! Hardware cloth covered openings work fine too, and a double layer of clear plastic works to block winter weather. Not beautiful, but inexpensive. Habitat Restores can have very good deals on doors, windows, and hardware, and paint or stain. Mary
Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize big windows were good in a coop! I personally love them because I love natural light in general. I know my hens will love it in the winter. The coop I just posted I believe is a potting shed. I love how it looks older than it actually is. If I had it my way I would bring back the farmstead as it used to look 50 years ago, with solid standing buildings.

Back
Top Bottom