Predator Proofing my Chicken Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sandrapbrady, Jun 30, 2010.

1. sandrapbrady

sandrapbrady Hatching

Jun 30, 2010
    Hello! My DH and I are in the finishing stages of building our chicken run. I am wondering if any of you can tell me how you secure the chicken wire when a section overlaps on top of one another. Our run is bigger then the width of the chicken wire roll and I dont want thoses sneaky raccoons to slip inside overnight!

2. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Songster

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    We used zip ties but I wish we would have used hardware cloth rather than chicken wire it is more secure

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    We used those hog rings that you use for regular fencing. it looks pretty horrible but it was all we could think of at the time. This is for attaching a few small sections of overlapping hardware cloth since we have an oddly shaped coop. And yes, you should consider HW cloth instead of chicken wire if possible! [​IMG]

4. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Songster

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    When connecting hardware cloth together I overlap it and crimp it together with Loxit rings at both overlapping edges along with a supporting wire. If I'm putting over chain link I use the Loxit rings to crimp each edge and to the chain link also. If I'm using it with no supporting wire such as the top of a run, I run the high tensile wire(for installing chain link fencing...$18.99 at Home Depot) along each edge and crimp it along with the edge of the hardware cloth. Works great and this is a very strong seam.

Example of seaming hardware cloth with the chain link...

[​IMG]

Example of seaming hardware cloth using high tensile wire at the edges...

[​IMG]

5. buckabucka

buckabucka Crowing

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    We put a strip of wood over the joint, and then stapled it every inch (we used hardware cloth). It seems very secure so far, but the coop/run is new this spring.

6. sandrapbrady

sandrapbrady Hatching

Jun 30, 2010
    Thank you all, I will reinforce with stonger hardware cloth nd use some of your tips!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by