Predator proofing run door

juliamiles

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2016
Hi all

We are planning to build our run this year in preparation for getting chicks next year. We've picked up a lot of ideas on these threads like burying the hardware cloth at an angle, etc.

My question is how do you make sure the people door to the run stays predator proof as well as functional?

We are planning to use 4x4s and hardware cloth for the entire run with the coop entirely inside. Also, what ideas for roofing that would provide some shade would you suggest?

Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks!

Hi all

We are planning to build our run this year in preparation for getting chicks next year. We've picked up a lot of ideas on these threads like burying the hardware cloth at an angle, etc.

My question is how do you make sure the people door to the run stays predator proof as well as functional?

We are planning to use 4x4s and hardware cloth for the entire run with the coop entirely inside. Also, what ideas for roofing that would provide some shade would you suggest?

Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks!

Trying to envision what you're asking. I think if you make a people sized door, you can make the frame with 2x4s and then fill it in with hardware cloth and just make sure it fits tight in its spot then it shouldn't be a problem. If they can go under the coop, they'll love that for shade.

They will be able to go under the coop, we wanted to cover about half of the run just to provide a little more shade since we have a very open backyard.

As far as the door, I was worried that something could dig into the ground under the door or squeeze between the door and the frame - we have fox in our area and they have gotten over/under the privacy fence before so we want this run to be a fortress!

They will be able to go under the coop, we wanted to cover about half of the run just to provide a little more shade since we have a very open backyard.

As far as the door, I was worried that something could dig into the ground under the door or squeeze between the door and the frame - we have fox in our area and they have gotten over/under the privacy fence before so we want this run to be a fortress!

You could bury hardware cloth under the door just like the rest of the run. It can attached to a wooden threshold under the door, just a partly buried board or 4x4 or 2x4. If you level that and make your doorway nice and square you should be able to keep things from squeezing though. Not sure what the best roofing option would be - depends on your budget. We are cheap so we use what's lying around. In our case, a section of our metal roof that had to be replaced became repurposed into small roof sections for various critter housing. You might find used materials on craigslist.

You need to bury hardware cloth or something below your door frame in the same way that it sounds like you are around the rest of the coop. Also be sure you have at least 2 latches on every door/opening so that if one fails it's still shut. When I built my coop I would attach one latch then pull on different parts of the door/gate/etc. and figure out where I should attach the other latch to make it most secure.

You can lay wire (welded, chain link, hardware cloth, Chicken wire) under the gate about 2 to 3 feet on the outside and a couple feet on the inside, like a rug. Put some dirt, sand over it, level it out and you are good to go. The wire on the inside also prevents the chickens from digging around the gate. I do this for my gates and nothing digs through the wire on the ground.

I dug a trench around my run and filled it with rocks, broken cinder block pieces, and some steel fence poles that came with the house. After filling the trench, I laid 4x4s all around the outside of the run. There is one that goes across the front of the run where the door is. I move it when I open the run in the morning and put it back at night when I am closing them in the coop (which is inside of the run). I haven't had any issues.

The run door has a wood (2'x4') threshold with buried hardware cloth.

Attachments

• IMG_0437.JPG
    IMG_0437.JPG
    799.1 KB · Views: 56
You can lay wire (welded, chain link, hardware cloth, Chicken wire) under the gate about 2 to 3 feet on the outside and a couple feet on the inside, like a rug. Put some dirt, sand over it, level it out and you are good to go. The wire on the inside also prevents the chickens from digging around the gate. I do this for my gates and nothing digs through the wire on the ground.

Thank you! This seems like a great idea!

Back
Top Bottom