Predator proofing that seems to be working .

flwrldy

Songster
6 Years
Apr 20, 2017
NH
My Coop
My Coop
The other night I heard coyotes howling really close by :eek:. I heard that human voices work to scare off predators, and know it worked for my neighbor..so I searched high and low looking for a radio to use, to no avail. Finally I remembered we have two old cell phones, so I charged them up, set one on a YouTube playlist in the nesting box that's blocked off, and one in the kitchen window. The one in the coop was playing Pastor Charles Lawson who is a preacher and boy can he preach! The cell phone in the window had the Audio of the King James Bible playing. Well let me tell you, when I let those chickens and ducks out this morning they came flying out of their coop with their little ole wings raised up to heaven and praising the Lord.. They were quacking and chirping, praises.:wee lol ..Been doing this for over a week now with a giant led spot light too.. So far so good. 3 locks on every opening. Fabric cloth out over 12" all around the pen too.. I'm truly not the crazy chicken lady, just a mother hen

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD. Psalm 150:6

+ QuoteReply

The other night I heard coyotes howling really close by :eek:. I heard that human voices work to scare off predators, and know it worked for my neighbor..so I searched high and low looking for a radio to use, to no avail. Finally I remembered we have two old cell phones, so I charged them up, set one on a YouTube playlist in the nesting box that's blocked off, and one in the kitchen window. The one in the coop was playing Pastor Charles Lawson who is a preacher and boy can he preach! The cell phone in the window had the Audio of the King James Bible playing. Well let me tell you, when I let those chickens and ducks out this morning they came flying out of their coop with their little ole wings raised up to heaven and praising the Lord.. They were quacking and chirping, praises.:wee lol ..Been doing this for over a week now with a giant led spot light too.. So far so good. 3 locks on every opening. Fabric cloth out over 12" all around the pen too.. I'm truly not the crazy chicken lady, just a mother hen

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD. Psalm 150:6

+ QuoteReply

Haha that is amazing!

I used to go buy cheap clock radios and use them. They work well in gardens to keep varmints out as well. When I was young dad used a propane cannon in his watermelon patch after a couple weeks the deer got used to it and it was back to broken melons. After that he hung transistor radios on each end. Never had a deer or otherwise after that. The changing sound keeps them from growing used to it.

The coyotes don't seem to be scared of me, an actual human, so I have my doubts they will be too deterred by a radio if they choose to make a meal of my flock. I'm just hoping the fencing and coop is secure enough they won't be breaking in.

I used to go buy cheap clock radios and use them. They work well in gardens to keep varmints out as well. When I was young dad used a propane cannon in his watermelon patch after a couple weeks the deer got used to it and it was back to broken melons. After that he hung transistor radios on each end. Never had a deer or otherwise after that. The changing sound keeps them from growing used to it.
Awesome! I change it up too. They get lots of sermons lol

The coyotes don't seem to be scared of me, an actual human, so I have my doubts they will be too deterred by a radio if they choose to make a meal of my flock. I'm just hoping the fencing and coop is secure enough they won't be breaking in.
Me too on my coop. We won't even let our cats out after dark because our neighbor has lost 5 cats to coyotes. A friend of my moms, had her German Shepard on her back deck and coys attacked and killed it right there. All she could do was watch. She couldn't and didn't even have time to shoot, because there was so much chaos and she didn't want to shoot her dog, but poor thing died anyway. I don't think the coyotes can get in the coop, what I do worry about is a bear. They could probably turn the whole coop over

we use a radio in are coop, its more for the birds just to hear voices. but i guess if it scares off predators then that is awesome.
Awesome. I only worry that it keeps them awake all night, but they can nap during the day. I rather have a little peace of mind that it is keeping predators away, then none at all.

Awesome. I only worry that it keeps them awake all night, but they can nap during the day. I rather have a little peace of mind that it is keeping predators away, then none at all.
our chickens have had the radio since we first got them (2 days old) so they grew up with it, never thought it could disturb there sleep though.

Back
Top Bottom