Predator proofing the coop?

well I think the best way is to bury it in the ground but I have yet to do that here myself. For now I have added a foot skirt along the outside with a railway sleeper sitting on top.
Since you have the unenviable job of digging everything up you might as well bury it a foot in the ground.
Like said something I still need to get round to. I am painting my hardware cloth to make it longer lasting so it's work in progress. Hardware cloth is galvanised but depending on whether it is welded first or after, the welds start to rust. Nothing I've heard anyone complain about before but I'd rather give it a paint cover to make it weather proof.

Diapers, appliances, windows all sorts of random trash. You name it. So even after thorough cleaning ( like hands and knees picking little bits of everything off the ground) I won't trust the ground for them to roam until a thick top layer is removed and new soil placed down. We are slowly doing this with the entire yard. It is a long exhausting process 🙄 they'll only be allowed on completed areas.

:eek: How dreadful!

What is the best way to secure hardware cloth to the ground?

Landscape staples hold it down until the grass grows up through it.

Hey all! This is my first question on here (of likely many many to come!)

We are nearly finished building our first coop. It is 16' long, 7 3/4' wide. Sits 24" off the ground. I am adding finishing touches currently. Hardware cloth to the vents reinforcements to the doors, not done yet! but I am concerned about the floor. I am thinking something will get under the coop and dig/chew the wood apart at the seams where the wood went together. So I am planning on enclosing the opening to under the coop but also want to reinforce the bottom. What can I put along the bottom to keep predators from getting through? I was thinking of possibly lining the entire bottom with hardware cloth. Would that do it? Suggestions? Babies are headed out this week and I need to be sure they're as safe as can be! I'd rather go overkill on predator proofing than find out to late that I missed something... We have never built anything like this before. Suggestions before move in day are welcome!

Edit: I wanted to add that I am in upstate NY. We have raccoons, foxes, coyotes, weasels, skunks, cats and the occasional bear and loose dog. There are also hawks, owls and bald eagles but they will not be free ranging. They'll be in their covered and reinforced run at all times because of previously mentioned random loose dogs, wandering cats and birds of prey.

View attachment 2696406View attachment 2696408View attachment 2696409
Make sure you attach 1/2" hardware cloth securely using fence staples or lath and screws over every opening ,hole,vent or window then use alternating hot and ground electric fencing around the coop and run .Otherwise an animal that's not touching the ground can climb up on a hot wire and won't get a shock.

:eek: How dreadful!

Landscape staples hold it down until the grass grows up through it.
Why not some earth worms to help you clean the soil? Throw down some cardboard, newspaper clipping and leaves in the worst spots so they have plenty of food to eat and they'll go the work for you.Sunflowers and Earth worms both can be used to clean up contaminated soil (anything from a sewer overflow to a nuclear site.)Sunflowers and other plants can be used to clean the soil.The previous homeowner trashed my place outside too.It also had rats and I used instant mashed potatoes to get rid of them.(a tip given to me by a pest exterminator)

Back
Top Bottom