Predator proofing

Duckmuck2

Chirping
May 4, 2015
Mid Nevada
I live in Gardnerville NV and I have 6 6 week old ducks. don't know that we have raccoons in the area or anything that digs for that matter. have mesh over the top t protect from raptors, is it worth putting I across the bottom?

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. It's definitely worth putting mesh across the bottom, or at least running a 2-3 foot strip of mesh around the outside perimeter and covering it over with dirt and/or rock. Be sure and use hardware cloth instead of chicken wire as there are too many predators that can tear through chicken wire, or squeeze through the openings in the mesh. Also, use either a padlock or a double action latch on the door as racoons can easily figure out how to open a single action latch. There is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/07/11-tips-for-predator-proofing-chickens.html on predator proofing your flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your ducks.

welcome-byc.gif

Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask any questions you may have!

Congrats on the new duckys!

If your worried about predators, deffinitly put a wire ''skirt'' around the outside of the run and coop like @Michael OShay suggested. Another thing you could do is put an electric wire around the the run about 2-3 inches off the ground.

Good luck with your flock. What breed(s) do you have?

Once you have chickens outside, I guarantee every predator in the area will know about it. That's when you get to meet the wildlife that's been around you and you never noticed. Preds either eat them on the spot, take away for snack or leave survivors with hideous wounds. If you build a strong, safe coop and run it will save you from heartache.

welcome-byc.gif

A friend at work was telling me for like $40 you can get an electric wire that you bury around the perimeter of you coop s if an unwanted trys to dig under they get a little zap. (not enough to cause damage but enough to register some second thoughts) Has anyone heard of that and if so how well does it work?

A friend at work was telling me for like $40 you can get an electric wire that you bury around the perimeter of you coop s if an unwanted trys to dig under they get a little zap. (not enough to cause damage but enough to register some second thoughts) Has anyone heard of that and if so how well does it work?

I haven't heard anything about a buried one (only one very low to the ground). With a buried one, what is going to happen when it rains and the dirt in which the wire is buried gets wet?

Back
Top Bottom