Predator protection

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Jdc361, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Jdc361

Jdc361 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2015
    what type of birds/animals could I get to ward off predators?

2. Jdc361

Feb 14, 2015
    ???anyone???

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Good fences and consider electric fences or electric netting.

4. Jdc361

Feb 14, 2015

I mean like what type of birds, other than chickens, can I put in my flock to keep them safe. Things that will scare off predators? Or defend my chickens

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Nothing, really. A big game rooster will try, but chickens are on everyone's menu, and are easy for most predators to kill. Fencing, safe coops and runs, and maybe a trained dog. Mary

6. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Geese can often deal with domestic dogs, but will sometimes fall victim to more wiley predators (like coyotes), but will make a racket if anything is going on (and often when nothing is going on). I've heard of people using swans for poultry protection animals - swans are nasty. I've heard people using Guinea fowl as alert/lookout animals, but my understanding is that foxes/coyotes eat them just as easily as chickens - it's just louder.

The best is a well trained livestock guardian dog of the proper breed. The tough part is that "well trained" thing, as a poorly trained LGD can be a nightmare.

My chickens and ducks range between two pastures - the back pasture has some sheep and a llama. The front pasture has a quad of geese - the front pasture is essentially my backyard, so I worry about it a little less.

Both pastures are fenced and hot. Multiple layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by