Predator Signature?

Kangasox

Songster
9 Years
Feb 27, 2015
Well, unfortunately, after 3 years of keeping ducks, we lost one to a predator. I have read threads about who leaves/doesn't leave what, and have tried to search forums but am not finding it. What I found this morning was a large circle of feathers with a small area that looks like could have been a pool of blood in the middle. Looked around the area and didn't see any other pieces. Which critter does it sound like?

We keep everyone locked up at night, so my best guess is that this duck just didn't go in with everyone else last night at dinner, though I don't know why because he always has. Now I'm paranoid because I don't know if it happened yesterday during the day and i didn't notice when we were putting them to bed, so concerned if it was daytime it could happen again. Making matters worse, it's my daughter's pet drake. Not looking forward to tell her later today.

So sorry to hear about your dd drake. Maybe an owl if happened at night or fox they would carry off the body, bob cat, coyote would probably carry off too.
I go in every night after I think everyone has gone inside and count heads that way if I don't come up with the right number I go out looking for the missing one before locking up.
Give your dd a hug from me.

So sorry to hear about your dd drake. Maybe an owl if happened at night or fox they would carry off the body, bob cat, coyote would probably carry off too.
I go in every night after I think everyone has gone inside and count heads that way if I don't come up with the right number I go out looking for the missing one before locking up.
Give your dd a hug from me.

Thanks @Miss Lydia. My husband usually does bedtime and I do morning chores. I usually always head count in morning. I actually helped him put them up last night and DIDN'T head count. I feel so bad. I also thought I saw little prints out there the other day in the mud and thought it may have been a fox. I was thinking I was glad we always put them up at night. Hindsight.

Won't do a bit of good to beat yourself up, just comfort your dd and remember to count those heads. :hugs

I didn't count once and lost one of my favorite bantam hens. It was a heart breaking lesson.

Back
Top Bottom