Predator suggestion HELP!!

SuperChickMama

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 7, 2012
Northwestern NC
I've had weird happenings in my coop lately.....

First day I find a chicken egg crushed in the nest box. I collected the eggs, and threw the eaten egg on the ground outside.
Second day I find the crushed egg shell GONE and part of it in the box.

I thought it was a neighbor kid, so I used the lock.

WE had 3 days of severe rain, On the second day of rain I am going to collect eggs, and I see a hole to the diddle coop. I took my shoe and stuffed it full of mud.

After the rain I cleaned the coop, didn't notice anything out of the way..... hole still filled, but I DID notice a couple new holes I thought my chickens were being sneaky. The holes are only about 3 inches wide 4 inches max. and an inch or 2 deep.

Yesterday we find a dead diddle.......... not just dead, mangled, and mostly missing.
Today..... another dead diddle..........but this time just dead!!

We live in the Mountains of North Carolina. We don't think it is a fox, the holes are to small. Not sure if we have weasels..... could it be a opossum??

PLEASE help if you have any critter suggestions..... We are getting 2 or 3 claw traps...... TONIGHT!! and setting up the game cam!.

SuperChickMama

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 7, 2012
Northwestern NC
WE have .5 inch steel gauge wire on the "diddle coop" and most of the adult coop, the run has plain old chicken wire, there are 4 x 4's around the floor and on part of it the wire was buried under the dirt about 6 inches and had some extra concrete around it...

MEchickenfarmer33

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 29, 2011
Maine
sounds like a weasel to me. nothing else could fit through that small of a hole. my suspects are 1.)weasel
2.) snake
3.)rat/mouse
hope you resolve the problem!!!!!

SuperChickMama

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 7, 2012
Northwestern NC
Thanks, we set 2 steel traps and baited with pork chop, It has been 2 days and no sign of the critter, I think it's a weasel also, but my sister thinks its it may be a gray fox, somehow I don't see a fox of any size squeezing through that small a hole...

aprophet

Songster
10 Years
Jan 12, 2010
chesapeake Va.
Thanks, we set 2 steel traps and baited with pork chop, It has been 2 days and no sign of the critter, I think it's a weasel also, but my sister thinks its it may be a gray fox, somehow I don't see a fox of any size squeezing through that small a hole...
I use 4-5 " snares and catch greys , all this rain we have had the last coupla days has made the possums move hard I have disposed of a few the last coupla of days :)

SuperChickMama

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 7, 2012
Northwestern NC
Welp, I saw my predator tonight while I was cementing holes in a monsoon. A BIG FAT RAT..... his name for now is Templeton, we set a live trap and hopefully he will be a trapped rat because he is going to SUFFER. He is gonna get shaken to DEATH!!!!! Don't mess with a Mama and her BABIES!!!!!!

On the bright side, we have 3 new chickens, and 7 new diddles a few days old, and a new one about 4 weeks old, HOPEFULLY we will catch the rat and he won't be able to get through our WHOLE wheelbarrow full of CONCRETE!!!!!! We filled holes, one hole was about a foot across and a foot deep, it was a well....... luckily I had some stuff in it but that sucker has been digging around my rock stuffers!

Top Bottom