Predator took all 5 hens last night! I feel horrible!

Pics
I’m so sorry! I couldn’t even imagine. I lost half my flock for an unknown reason last fall and that was so sad. I just feel so bad for you! Could it have been a bobcat? Also, I would totally invest in one of the pop doors that are battery powered, but the door opens and closes via light sensor. It was the best money we spent for our coop. It closes once it gets dark and opens when there is enough light for me to see. I know my chickens are safe if I get home late. I’ve never had a chicken not make it in, except 2 of my 7 new chicks, because they are a little slow and won’t go in 🙄.

There are a large number of comments. Sorry if I’m repeating others. There’s no real way to know which predator took your birds at this stage. I have a security cam in my yard focused directly on my coop. I see the fixes, possums, raccoons all the time. You need to concern yourself more with security for your next bird family. I bought an automatic door on amazon. It closes every night whether I’m home or not. I have it set to close about 15 min after it’s pitch black out side. Do you have a run? Is it covered with wire? Do you use hardware cloth, not chicken wire? Did you bury the wire around your coop in the ground? If you take a bit of time to predator proof your coop/run, you will be a lot less stressed and your seeet little chooks will be safe. Here’s a pic of mine.

Attachments

• F8CDDFE1-571E-4081-A633-E3B81B4E0C67.jpeg
    F8CDDFE1-571E-4081-A633-E3B81B4E0C67.jpeg
    506.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 8CFE25C0-0C24-4D34-86B5-CE7DC5E6B93B.jpeg
    8CFE25C0-0C24-4D34-86B5-CE7DC5E6B93B.jpeg
    948.2 KB · Views: 9
There are a large number of comments. Sorry if I’m repeating others. There’s no real way to know which predator took your birds at this stage. I have a security cam in my yard focused directly on my coop. I see the fixes, possums, raccoons all the time. You need to concern yourself more with security for your next bird family. I bought an automatic door on amazon. It closes every night whether I’m home or not. I have it set to close about 15 min after it’s pitch black out side. Do you have a run? Is it covered with wire? Do you use hardware cloth, not chicken wire? Did you bury the wire around your coop in the ground? If you take a bit of time to predator proof your coop/run, you will be a lot less stressed and your seeet little chooks will be safe. Here’s a pic of mine.
Beautiful place!

So sorry for your experience.:(6 years ago I left my chickens running around In my back yard.
I then decided to go to the store. It was the middle of the day. When I got back a couple of coyotes had jumped my 6ft fence and made off with 3 of my pullets. I know it was coyotes because they were still there when I got back. I was gone maybe 20 minutes tops. I put the rest of the chickens back into the coup. Looked around the garden to see if I could find anymore. All I found were piles of feathers. So they did take the chickens over the fence when they left. They are very slick and clever animals. They don’t call them wiley for nothing. And bobcats? Don’t get me started. They don’t even leave feathers.
:caf

One other comment. I let my hens out to free range only when I’m able to be outside and sit w them. Watching them is relaxing and entertaining. However, don’t be fooled. A hawk will fly right past you while 10 feet away and try to catch them. This happened. So, since I was right there I scared it off. Sorry for your loss.

Hi Everyone, thank you to everyone at this forum as you have all been so helpful! Every night I have a routine which includes checking on my 5 hens and closing their hutch door. I have done this for 5 years. Last night I am assuming I forgot as I noted the main door open this AM. All of my chickens are gone. There are no bodies, bones, etc. - just piles of feathers. I live in town with 2 sides of 8 foot fence and 2 sides of 4 foot fence. Hawks have been my daytime issues in the past as I lost one of my birds two years ago to a hawk in the daylight. I feel horribly guilty. Does anyone know what predator, in a southeastern PA town would just leave feathers overnight, be able to kill 5 birds, and leave nothing more? There are no gaps in the fence bottom and I have 3 dogs who use my yard to run and play....thank you for any information. I truly appreciate it!
Sorry to here about the poor chickens. Same thing happened to us years ago. So my guess would be possibly coyotes as they are pack animals. We have saw foxes run up and grab a chicken but totally take off with only one at a time. Also foxes are usually by themselves hunting unless it's a mom. We've heard many coyotes running through our bush super late and definitely lots together running. Five in a coop for a pack would be very easy for them to all grab one and go.

Last comment. Since I predator proofed my coop last spring, I’ve had lots of visitors but no losses.

Attachments

• AEEFEC05-C7A5-4AE3-8761-D028806666F7.png
    AEEFEC05-C7A5-4AE3-8761-D028806666F7.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Hi Everyone, thank you to everyone at this forum as you have all been so helpful! Every night I have a routine which includes checking on my 5 hens and closing their hutch door. I have done this for 5 years. Last night I am assuming I forgot as I noted the main door open this AM. All of my chickens are gone. There are no bodies, bones, etc. - just piles of feathers. I live in town with 2 sides of 8 foot fence and 2 sides of 4 foot fence. Hawks have been my daytime issues in the past as I lost one of my birds two years ago to a hawk in the daylight. I feel horribly guilty. Does anyone know what predator, in a southeastern PA town would just leave feathers overnight, be able to kill 5 birds, and leave nothing more? There are no gaps in the fence bottom and I have 3 dogs who use my yard to run and play....thank you for any information. I truly appreciate it!
Soooo sorry. I live in town with my chickens now too. Last time i had my whole flock dessimated i was in the country and it was racoons. I have seen plenty of racoons in the city too but so far have been lucky. It take so long to start over. I feel for you!

Do you have raccoons in the area? What kind of latch do you have on your coop? If you have a family they would easily take out all of your chickens and can undo latches as well. So you may have latched your coop.

Back
Top Bottom