Predator vs Black Chicken, Old Crow Medicine Show?

Because if they fail in falconry, they don't starve.

Every year we have hawks and eagles that fail to catch my birds. Some succeed, most don't. Certainly doesn't stop them from trying
This has been my experience. Sometimes a hawk that tries and fails will move on. Probably because its more efficient to look for something easier than to keep trying something that is healthy and constantly being hard to catch.

But I’ve also see the same hawk try daily, sometimes multiple times a day, and only be successful once a month or so. It probably varies by species and individual. Not all birds of prey hunt the same prey items or in the same manner. Falcons are built for catching smaller birds mid-air in flight. Goshawks are built for catching large, ground dwelling birds by ambush against the ground.

Doing some shopping at the Local Tractor Supply on Saturday and one of the "Chicken Ladies" suggested we get a couple of Black Hens. She said that Hawks, Eagles and other birds of Prey would think they were Crows, and leave the flock alone. Has anyone else had experience with this "Medicine Show"? Does it work? Or is this their attempt to sell more black chickens? I mean, I have been wanting some Barred Rocks! LOL
Most of our chickens are black and we still have a terrible time with hawk predation. We also have guineas get taken by hawks.

It works if you have crows in your area AND they are aggressive to other birds. In my case, yes, I've watched crows chase away hawks. And yes, ever since I put out crow decoys and got black chickens years ago, I haven't lost a single chicken to a hawk. Prior to this, we had multiple hawk encounters.

Doing some shopping at the Local Tractor Supply on Saturday and one of the "Chicken Ladies" suggested we get a couple of Black Hens. She said that Hawks, Eagles and other birds of Prey would think they were Crows, and leave the flock alone. Has anyone else had experience with this "Medicine Show"? Does it work? Or is this their attempt to sell more black chickens? I mean, I have been wanting some Barred Rocks! LOL
Pay no attention to that. I had a black copper maran that was killed by a hawk. Believe me, hawks can tell the diffrence.

What I know is that I have a black hen that has outlived others from two hawks and a fox (I was 10 feet away from the second hawk attack). Because of issues with hawks, I no longer free range.

It may be shenanigans, but anecdotally, it worked for me. I lost a hen and a young rooster to a hawk several years ago and observed crows chasing hawks away and thought, Why not add black chickens to my flock and see if they acted as a deterrent? This was four or five years ago. I did get half a dozen or so Black Australorps and never saw hawks harassing my birds again. I don't have BA or any black birds at the moment, but the hawks have not returned. 🤷‍♀️

I was told the same thing. I lost 6- hen to a hawk started to listen when crow holler there a hawk around that they will be chasing

Back
Top Bottom