Predator War Is ON!

herfrds

Songster
10 Years
Jan 11, 2010
Montana
Had trouble sleeping last night. Got woke up at 12:20am to a bird screaming in the coop. I jump out of bed grab a .22 with a short round in it. Got the flashlight and head out.
I cannot find my glasses and being near sided everything beyond 6 feet is blurry.
I get out there and one of the screens is off the coop. These are heavy screeens so I know it's not a barn cat.
I open the door and out shoots a coon through the window. I was worried about hitting a bird so I didn't shoot. Was able to see the ringed tail so I know what it was.

Go inside. Everything is completely terrified.
Have 1 dead chicken and an injuried turkey. That was what I heard screaming. Dang coon was eating on her while she was still alive!!!
somad.gif

Going to screw that screen up better. Going to set up a live trap for this coon.

Between the coyotes and now the coons I am going to go crazy.

treated the turkey with some iodine. She is still alive this morning. I was afraid I was going to have to put her down.

Put at least 6 new screws into each screen. Got to dig out the live trap I have. I have gotten numerous coon and skunks with it and TONS of barn cats. Had one cat that just could not stay out until I rolled it down the hill with the cat still in it.
lau.gif
After I did that I no longer had that cat in the trap.

Now for the turkey she is still alive. Saw her drinking some water and eating but going to watch her for the next several days. Poor thing the coon darn near tore her entire tail clean off.

You don't need to put the dead chicken in the trap, that's just smelly and messy. I second the use of Dukes DP traps. Stuff them with some sardines (above and below the trigger) or tuna or even some bread with PBJ. You'll need to then use the lead poisoning, but I've found the Duke traps HUGELY effective.

I normally bait the trap with eggs and that normally gets them to come in it. Once I get them in they get lead poisoning.

Back
Top Bottom