Predators and Free Ranging

lauriefishies

Chirping
Nov 16, 2018
I do not let my flock free range anymore due to loosing my last flock to all sorts of predators over time. I live in rural TN woods. They have a large run but I can see they want to go out in the woods. I hear people stay with the flock while letting them out to free range before its time for bed. I thought that's when some predators are out and about.
My question is if there is anyway to let them free range a bit and still be somewhat safe.

Yes........it is referred to as "yarding".......and is done inside an electric fence.

To keep birds safe, think of things as filters. A tight coop, nothing gets in is 99.9% safe. Add a covered run......as long as it's tight.....99.9% safe. Ad an open run.......risk now includes raptors, and climbing animals like coons, weasels, etc, so no longer 99.9% safe.

Full on free ranging......no containment of any kind......letting them out and exposing them to all manner of varmints, including dogs, raptors......is the most risky of them all. As in 90% certain of some type of death loss from something......not if.....but only when.

An electric fence, designed and installed with poultry in mind......is a highly effective filter for the furry land based varmints........and does double duty keeping the birds in. It is a relatively economical way to open up a sizeable are for the birds to roam around in.....enough to satisfy them and just as importantly....you.

An E fence does not afford any protection from hawks, etc, but that can be mitigated by how much cover you provide the birds to escape to.

Yes........it is referred to as "yarding".......and is done inside an electric fence.

To keep birds safe, think of things as filters. A tight coop, nothing gets in is 99.9% safe. Add a covered run......as long as it's tight.....99.9% safe. Ad an open run.......risk now includes raptors, and climbing animals like coons, weasels, etc, so no longer 99.9% safe.

Full on free ranging......no containment of any kind......letting them out and exposing them to all manner of varmints, including dogs, raptors......is the most risky of them all. As in 90% certain of some type of death loss from something......not if.....but only when.

An electric fence, designed and installed with poultry in mind......is a highly effective filter for the furry land based varmints........and does double duty keeping the birds in. It is a relatively economical way to open up a sizeable are for the birds to roam around in.....enough to satisfy them and just as importantly....you.

An E fence does not afford any protection from hawks, etc, but that can be mitigated by how much cover you provide the birds to escape to.
Will the electric fence shock the chickens? My coops are heavy duty Amish made and my runs top has hardware cloth so the hawks cant get in. Put allot of money into keeping them safe. I see my chickens looking out into the woods through the fence and longing to free range. Feel bad for them.

No the electric will not shock a bird. There feathers are like insulators. I have electric wire around my coops and pens. When I have let them out they may go out for a little bit but usually not for long and they go back into their pen where they feel safe. Our land is open pasture. There are some woods behind us but there is a pasture in-between the coops and the woods. My birds would rather stay in their nice shady pens. Years ago I planted trees in all of the pens. Chickens aren't human and don't think. They do have personalities but cannot reason. They aren't longing to be out, they are just curious little dinosaurs.

So you have done your part, and have a good setup to keep them safe. But we know how they are. I put two broody hens in lockup on Monday......let them out late yesterday. They didn't get two feet out the door before then started picking at anything that was green. They do like their salad and bugs.

Yes......they do get shocked.....usually not more than once. Done right, it is a violently painful........albeit harmless.....shock. If you were to get it the experience should be something like what it must feel like to have your arm ripped off.

Same thing happens to varmints. Does no harm, but none of them want a 2nd dose, so they treat it as a border or boundary they do not want to cross. So you run the fence around an enclosed area that allows them to get out and do their stuff. Size of area is up to you.

Back
Top Bottom