Predators from above and our new playpen

SAHMof2

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 11, 2010
We are making room for the new chicks / turkeys to join the existing layers and need to make the run larger. As it stands currently it and the coop are fantastically predator proof. Around here it would be coyotes and skunks mostly. We have hawks but since I got my layers at 19 weeks I've not been concerned for them while they were free ranging.

With this new run extended off the old they will no longer be allowed to free range so its more of a daytime pen. My question is when the 6 week old chicks (Wyandottes and turkeys) are in there should I be worried about hawks? The extension will be 20 x 50 feet. That's a lot of square footage to roof so I was thinking of spanning chicken wire across in strips sporadically?? Would this deter hawks at all? Is it necessary? Its there a better alternative that is cost effective?

Thank you.

If you don't want hawks to get in at all, then you need to cover the run. If it is just a day run, you can buy PLASTIC poultry netting to go on top. It is cheap an easy to put up...just remember it is plastic and that night time ground animals can get through plastic.

Best Wishes,
Laura

Back
Top Bottom