Predators in the UK ...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mis-Chief, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Mis-Chief

Mis-Chief New Egg

Nov 28, 2012
    Hello everyone,

I hope this post is in the right place, There is a lot of info on here about a wide range of pest/predators but i was wondering if anyone knows anything about what kinds of predators are around in the UK I know we have a few snakes but i only know of two kinds and one is harmless and the other protected. also Foxes obviously as they killed my last chickens :(.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] I would guess stoats, fox, and possibly European buzzards plus the neighbors' dogs and cats.

3. Mis-Chief

Mis-Chief New Egg

Nov 28, 2012
    I never thought of buzzards but the run will be having a roof as the uks weather is mainly wet lol .. also thinking of sinking some concreate posts to stop the foxes trying to dig under the wire..

Other than that i dont know what else to do

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Put a wire flange along the outside of the pen so that nothing can dig in.

5. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    My own dog hates my chickens and would gladly kill them. I laid down welded wire all around the outside of the coop and run to keep her out.

6. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    hedgehog.... don't forget hedgehog... and ferrets.. owls..

7. Mis-Chief

Mis-Chief New Egg

Nov 28, 2012
    Hedge hogs ??? but they are so cute and how can they be a harm to the chickies.

Dont get to many ferrets by me unless some careless owner has let them free .. i hate people who dont look after their pets .. my garden is completely boxed in by other peoples gardens so i dont need to worry about naughty human intruders :) ..

Wild bird i notice have been flocking to the chicken run to find food .. how can i stop them doing this .. should i stop providing wild bird food cause i usually do put some out for them..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by