Predators outside US

Welcome to Idaho . . . Bald Eagles!!! One was dive bombing the ducks in the pond behind our house this morning. My girls were glad to get their corn under the bushes today!

Australia.....so many buggers to hurt your chooks !!

Amongst the big chook munchers are;
Pythons
Wild dogs
Domestic dogs
Eagles, hawks and big raptors
Monitor lizards
Foxes

Amongst Little chicken munchers;
all of the above plus,
Kookaburras
Hawks
introduced rats
feral cats
crows

They can also get bitten and die from, paralysis ticks and snakes and get poisoned by cane toads. Most chooks go to the neighbours dog or, in my case pythons.

Nah, they were never a problem to me-all it took was 2 Staffordshire Bull Terriers & we never had a monkey problem even living on a banana farm. The farmers also shoot them as they are a tremendous pest & carry rabies frequently-these are vervet monkeys. In the towns etc, they cause chaos by biting people & ransacking their homes but they really aren't terribly bright thank goodness. Guess the smart gene just skipped over this species. Just for interest, the smart gene possibly skipped baboons too because (totally true) you can catch one by digging a small hole in an old termite mound & putting pumpkin seeds in it. They put their hand in to get the seeds but the hole is too small for them to pull their closed fist out & you can grab them because they refuse to open their hand & let go of the seeds even though it means getting free. Not the smartest critter. /img/smilies/hu.gif

Good luck to anyone 'grabbing' even a juvanile baboon.....I think maybe you had good stories passed on by a rooinek farmer from Joburg.
The men did catch vervet with a hollow long neck gourd attached to a leather thong, which in turn was attached to a suitable flexible stick. The vervet put its hand in the gourd and tried to retrieve it, finding itself trapped it paniced. Hunter had to be quick to immobilise the vervet with a knobkerri (club) otherwise they escaped easily. I spent a lot of time in the Matops, the fellas there did it for a change of diet for the family.Later on the men had .22's and no longer used the old method.

My brother in law lost a lot of maize (corn) to baboons. They were so brazen that they did it in daylight. If Jimmy went in alone with a rifle they stayed out and howled at him. Three farmers had the same treatment, only way was to get a bunch of folk to go in and for a couple to stay behind. Only had to do that once, and they stayed away for the rest of the cropping season. That was in Shabani.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom