Predators....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CocoHerrema, May 19, 2016.

1. CocoHerrema

CocoHerrema New Egg

May 19, 2016
    Turlock, Ca
    What are some easy ways to keep dogs away from my chickens. Last night or this am someone's dog got loose ( live in the country only 2 dogs could have gotten out) and killed 8 of our flock of 13 leaving an additional 3 missing and 2 safe. The dog broke the door to the coop where o thought they were safe. What are extra measures to keep the birds
    still here safe?

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Welcome! And sorry for your loss, I have had a dog attack to it really sucks.
    Pictures might help, so we can see possible holes in your security. But it sounds like you really need to get some electric fencing.

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Welcome to BYC!

I would certainly have a talk with the owners. Or....are you the owners? [​IMG] If it can break a door open...well.. I guess the next best thing is putting a chain link around their run. That's what we've done..but I let mine out to free range, we also have a fence around our whole back yard...not much land here.

Sorry this happened to you. [​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

5. CocoHerrema

CocoHerrema New Egg

May 19, 2016
    Turlock, Ca
    Thank you for all your help. We bought some new chickens today (kids were too devastated not too). This time we took advice and added an additional chain link fence around the coops. Of this happens again we will have to add an electric fence (hate to because of the kids). The owners of the said dog are claiming it wasn't their dog.... and without proof. Im adding cameras next! Thank you for all your help!!!!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The dog or dogs were successful, they will keep attacking your flock, until none are left UNLESS you secure your birds to keep them out. They have shown you glitches, its up to you to fortify coop and run etc.

7. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    I get your concerns about electrical fencing, and chain link is a great idea. But speaking as someone who has lived their whole life around electric fences. Your kids will be fine. Let them know it bites and to not touch. They might still touch once, they are kids, but only once, you learn quick.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by