Predators....

CocoHerrema

Hatching
May 19, 2016
Turlock, Ca
What are some easy ways to keep dogs away from my chickens. Last night or this am someone's dog got loose ( live in the country only 2 dogs could have gotten out) and killed 8 of our flock of 13 leaving an additional 3 missing and 2 safe. The dog broke the door to the coop where o thought they were safe. What are extra measures to keep the birds
still here safe?

Welcome! And sorry for your loss, I have had a dog attack to it really sucks.
Pictures might help, so we can see possible holes in your security. But it sounds like you really need to get some electric fencing.

Welcome to BYC!

I would certainly have a talk with the owners. Or....are you the owners?
tongue.png
If it can break a door open...well.. I guess the next best thing is putting a chain link around their run. That's what we've done..but I let mine out to free range, we also have a fence around our whole back yard...not much land here.

Sorry this happened to you.
hugs.gif

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Thank you for all your help. We bought some new chickens today (kids were too devastated not too). This time we took advice and added an additional chain link fence around the coops. Of this happens again we will have to add an electric fence (hate to because of the kids). The owners of the said dog are claiming it wasn't their dog.... and without proof. Im adding cameras next! Thank you for all your help!!!!

The dog or dogs were successful, they will keep attacking your flock, until none are left UNLESS you secure your birds to keep them out. They have shown you glitches, its up to you to fortify coop and run etc.

Thank you for all your help. We bought some new chickens today (kids were too devastated not too). This time we took advice and added an additional chain link fence around the coops. Of this happens again we will have to add an electric fence (hate to because of the kids). The owners of the said dog are claiming it wasn't their dog.... and without proof. Im adding cameras next! Thank you for all your help!!!!

I get your concerns about electrical fencing, and chain link is a great idea. But speaking as someone who has lived their whole life around electric fences. Your kids will be fine. Let them know it bites and to not touch. They might still touch once, they are kids, but only once, you learn quick.

Back
Top Bottom