1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PREDATORS

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by thechickenkeeper, Dec 28, 2008.

1. thechickenkeeper

thechickenkeeper Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Hi there folks, while at the cemetry in Southend, Essex,Uk , I got talking to a lady about plants that rabbits wouldn't eat, as the cemetry is overrun with rabbits, and most flowers that the loving families place on the graves, are demolished the very same night, so I put a small spikey succulent type plant on my fathers grave to deter the little furry critters. I noticed the grave the lady was tending was in full bloom, several flowering plants, so I asked her how she stopped the rabbits from eating them, ' Dog hair' she said, she combs hair from her sisters greyhounds and places it around the area of the grave and plants, she reckons the rabbits smell the dog hair and believe it could still be close so they go and eat someone else's plants. Maybe this theory can be transferred to other predators, i.e essence of golden eagle to keep vermin away, essense of foxhound etc etc. ?????????

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I have heard sprinkling human urine around a yard will make a predator think twice.

That said, however, nothing beats a strong coop, a secure run, and an electric fence.

3. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    Coyote urine is supposed to repel anything except coyotes. You can get it at most hunting stores or on Amazon.

Kathy

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Some zoos sell lion poo.

5. missourichickenmama

missourichickenmama SURPRISE!

Jul 17, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG] x 100 GROSS! what if you live in Africa and you attract lions... you would have a bigger problem!

I think the methods of sprinkling dog hair and the like makes a lot of sense...Maybe you could start a business selling predator repellent...

6. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Funny....but might work!! I just have to sweep my living room!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by