Animal predators attack!

Debbanne

Songster
Jan 19, 2019
Predator took our ducks and our goose disappeared! She was roaming in our sheep paddock after all our ducks were taken from the pen they were in and hers was next to it. She knew that they had been taken and even seemed to miss going around with them too! Now she has just vanished without a trace. We luckily still have our new bantams of 6 and are housed in our backyard in their pen. We were concerned ,my husband and myself that they would be next but good so far. They actually nest in some big spikey flower plants at night and nothing seems to get them so far. They can come and go in their pen area . Only problem is they keep digging my plants out and now we have a puppy that is rounding them up I think? He is not hurting them but I am concerned as they are small. We are concerned though the pen we want to put them in will get attacked again where our ducks and goose were! Our puppy is new and too small to put up there with our other dog yet! I shut the chooks in the pen but they get out of a day and hoping our puppy is just being friendly. Trying to sort something out for them all. Any ideas would be really appreciated!:confused:

I would share your concern about the puppy. Even though he's small and not hurting them now, that can translate into him thinking he can roughhouse with them when he's older and it doesn't take much to kill a bantam.

So sorry for you losses. I agree pictures of the pen may help. A puppy may look at the birds as toys. My suggestion would be to put up a game camera if you have one. Anything at this point is just a guess. My best guess is whatever it is has been lurking looking for an opportunity and you won't see it. I put electric wires around my coops and pens and nothing has gotten past the hot wires. Some people when they do install electric fencing or electric wires will bait them to get the predator to touch them to teach them. Most predators explore things first with their noses. Most predators around here know the hot wires are up and avoid them. I believe the adults teach their young that a bird isn't worth getting zapped for. I have rarely heard a predator test the hot wires and once is enough. Good luck...

:frowThakyou kindly everyone for your advice with my puppy! Is there a certain age they can go on a leash. I feel he should be put on one safely and our bantams are still good. Now my pup is digging in my gardens and chooks. Some are already fenced off. I am wondering if it could be something else as we have lost a lot of poultry but the bantams also can fly to safety in some spikey big plants over the pen as it has no proper roof etc. If we put them in the pen where our ducks and other chooks were they could be attacked and killed also.! My husband has said electric fencing and the cameras also! Even plants are just vanishing and dug up and like something is sitting in them! Found poop also which is not the bantams or our pups. Could wild boar be coming in of a night and I am thinking it is our bantams and pup which I am certain of a night it isn't! Love to know if anyone is finding any thing similar in their gardens? :drool

Back
Top Bottom