Predators

chicks for better health

Songster
11 Years
May 4, 2008
West Glenville, NY
Looks like I am in for a tough run trying to protect the chickens. My next door neighbor saw a bobcat, and a red fox crosss into our yard on different days last week. and to top that off my neighbor across the street saw a fisher cat in my yard staring at the chicken coop.

Looks like it it time to go hunting. I might have to buy that donkey after all as well.

I am amazed people are actually seeing those animals. Usually, you can live for years around foxes and bobcats and never see one. I wonder if there is a shortage of prey that drives them to be out in the open. AllI can do is wish you good luck.

We have had to kill two foxes in the last few months. Some of my chickens free range full time but most are in coops. Both foxes were killed early in the morning trying to get to my birds. I kept having hens with biddies taken off the nest and the birds would just be missing with a few feathers left. It was a male and a female fox and we are hoping they didn't have young that we will have to deal with later.

Maybe you can put electric wire outside of you coop and run.

I do have a dog, he is the friendliest golden retriever. I am afraid that he will try to make friends especially with the Coyotes.

I think I will be putting up an electric wire. I just hope I can get to it before they get to the chickens.

We moved here late October, and are using a makeshift coop until I get a chance to build my new coop.

The two foxes we had to kill were coming within 10 foot of my dogs which were in a chain link fence. They had been around enough to know the dogs could not get them. We had five of our free range game roos blocking them off long enough to take both shots on different days. So far I haven't had any more of my free range birds come up missing. Both times it was a daybreak. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom