Predators

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SJUDD, May 17, 2011.

1. SJUDD

SJUDD Chillin' With My Peeps

Good morning. I live in Central California and have just finished building my first chicken coop. I was given 6 "mutts" by my girlfriend who raises her own chickens. I was told to put an egg in the nesting box so the chickens know where to lay their eggs. When I left for work yesterday, there was a brown egg in the nest. When I came home on my lunch hour, the egg was gone and there was a tunnel dug in the dirt and under the neighbors fence. All 6 chickens were alive and well, and one had even laid another egg, (this one green so I know it wasn't the same egg) although on the ground and not in the nest. Any ideas on what would tunnel under the coop and steal an egg without messing with the chickens? Obviously I need to dig down and add some wire underground to keep this from happening again but am still curious what would do this.
    Thanks! And thank you for having me on this forum. There are a lot of helpful tips and information here!

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    my guess would be rat or snake. I'd probably stick some Just One Bite (rat poison) down the hole and cover it with a concrete block. Has worked for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by