Predators

Royal Chicken

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 18, 2012
We have not yet begun to raise chickens, but I am worried about coyotes. If we put the coop by the woods, will the coyotes come out of the woods? We have three dogs, but will they scare off the coyotes? A few nights ago we heard a wolf howling close to our house. Will he come to the coop and will the wolves and coyotes be a threat to our chickens' lives?

I would be more worried about foxes. Make sure that the chicken run can't be dug under and that should keep out the coyotes. A coyote or wolf is not going to risk coming near humans to go after a chicken unless they are desperate for food - it's not worth the effort. I've never had issues with coyotes it's the fox I was always fighting against (but I'm in NY where our coyotes are more wolf like than coyote like). If your dogs won't eat the chickens themselves leave them out with the birds and they will keep the predators at bay, or at least mine did. If you have them in a fenced in area instead of a covered run you can put a strand of electric wire around the top of the fence to keep them from climbing over the fence.

It's a good thing to be aware of predation before you get chickens, but you can never really tell if it's going to be an issue where you are located until you actually have the chickens. Try and find if anyone near you has chickens, they can probably tell you whether or not the predators in the area are going to be an issue and how to combat them if they are.

I live up north and we can hear coyotes real close to the house. I haven't seen any foxes around where I live. Will wolves be a problem and a threat to us if I get chickens? Will wolves come close and try to eat me?

Yes, coyotes will eat chickens. If you know you have coyotes in the area, I suggest that you do not attempt to free range your birds. Keep them in secure coyote proof housing.

The coyotes here hunt both night and day and they will take a pet or chicken right off your feet. They can and do kill dogs, so unless your dogs are enormous and never stray, keep your dogs secure, also.

Wolves, I have no experience. I know they will eat chickens and they are not as bold as coyotes and prefer to stay back away from humans. That doesn't mean they won't go onto your property at night or when you are not home.

Back
Top Bottom