Preditor proof fencing

pioneersnt

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 19, 2009
What would be the best fencing to protect chicken, quail from dogs and coyotes?

We are just setting up for our birds and would like to feed ourselves and not the local wildlife.

Besides our dogs, we have a large population of coyotes, owls and hawks.

Would a welded wire fence with an electric fence around the bottom keep the coyotes out?

What is the best netting to cover flight pens with and where can it be found?

Hi! Welcome to BYC. You are in the right place to gather such information.

Just about any strong fencing will work as long as the size of the openings is kept tight and small from ground level up say three feet. Coons and such reach through and pull them through the wire...that is a nasty thing to find.

You will also want the fencing secure from diggers. If you click on the link below my name that says "eggtopia", you will see how the wiring is ran inside under and out away from fencing, securing with spikes, landscape staples etc. This means no digging. You want hardwire cloth 1/2" over windows whether screened or now, plenty of ventilation covered with hardwire cloth.

the netting...cannot answer that because I am still making up my mind on that one as well. Quail...someone with them will jump in on that.

Take the time to look at the coop designs page...there is tons of ideas and info there.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC!!!
yippiechickie.gif

First of all, where do you live??? Are you planning to keep your chickens in a covered run??

Generally it is recommended that you use the welded wire fence to give strength to the run. Then you should cover the bottom 2 -3 feet with welded cloth to keep racoons from reaching into the run and grabbing the chickens. Some people cover the wire fence with chicken wire over the sides and top.

Some people use electric wire at the bottom and/or the top of the run. It works well for some folks. Others caution that many things can "short" the line and then you are defenseless.

Use the "Search" function in the blue strip at the top of the page and put in "wire fence" and "netting". Also check under "Coop and Run Design" under the Index. There has been a ton of discussion on these topics!!

Good Luck!!
Cindy

Thank you for the welcome.

I have to appologise for jumping the gun and asking questions that have probably been discussed extensovely.
These were questions fresh in my mind when I found this site.

A little background.
I live in a rural area of southern california. We moved here about five years ago and have gotten the kennels set up, started the rabbits and are looking to start on some chickens and quail.

The wife has ordered some cochin, and orpington chicks that should be here early may. This gives me some time to get the area ready.

I will have to keep them in covered pens to avoid the coyotes, hawks and owls.

Excellent then just remember to avoid cedar shavings, get that wire under the run and out about 3 feet. You can put topsoil and etc over it if you want and plant on top of it. that will keep yotes, dogs and fox from digging their way in. Have that hardwire cloth inside and up about 3 feet as well to stop those reaching in and grabbing a chicken.

You have time...just search through the coop designs and coop forum here. You will find tons of great info.

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom