Preditors in the City

Feral cats can be a problem as well. The place I just moved to is overrun with them and they are constantly trying to get my chickens.

I cannot let them free range because it would be wither the hawks, the foxes, or the cats. at night it's the coons but I have my coop hot wired and locked.

Always be very careful. I live in the city too but I always free range while I supervise and lock them up at night. I usually read while I supervise but I'm constantly looking up at them to make sure a cat didn't sneak up.

Cities have just as much and dangerous predators as in the country. We have racoons, opposums, hawks, and who knows what else.

My husband thinks I go alittle overboard but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Never let your guard down.

Enjoy your chickens!

Quote:
In OK there seems to be more foxes in towns than in the country!

I agree. I have lived here since 1993 and there has been foxes in the common ground behind my house since I have been here. They are the reason I have an "outside" dog. She is a chow mix so the cold weather doesn't bother her (actually she loves it will sit out in the open in a snow storm) and she does get to come into the house each evening once the chickens are locked up at night.
She is such a good dog. I have had her for 9 years now, she will be hard to replace.

RACCOONS!!! Let me say this again: RACCOONS!!! Even if you have NO other predators, this one alone will wipe out your flock. In fact, in the city, where we have fences that keep other predators, like stray dogs out, I think raccoons are about the worst predator you can have, because they are so darned smart, and agile. They can dig, climb trees and climb your fence to drop into your run, undo locks with their little hands, and they are strong and determined.

We live in the suburbs of a large city, population 1 Mil., we have six foot privacy fencing, and a dog. Our hens and ducks cruise around in the backyard all day. But at night they are LOCKED DOWN. The duck pen and the duck house inside, and the chicken run attached to the coop are all as predator proof as we can make them. The pens are dog kennels completely covered with 1/2" hardware cloth on sides, top and buried 8" under the ground. And I still lock the chickens in their coop and the ducks in their duck house at night.

Just last night, I was leaving to go babysit my nephew. Walking up the street, three houses away, and in plain view, were three HUGE coons. They glared at me when I stopped the car and yelled at them. Urban coons have no fear of people, cars, even dogs.

O.K., don't mean to frighten you, but if you build your coop and enclosure with this reality in mind, then you will probably be able to do a good job protecting your flock. Just put the effort in at the beginning, it's worth it, and you'll sleep better at night. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom