Preexisting coop in frozen MN... I’ve lost my mind!

Pics

DoeAndGander

Songster
5 Years
May 24, 2017
Southern Minnesota
Long story short, getting my coop chicken ready was supposed to happen months ago... not at the start of winter in Minnesota. Yikes!!

The structure is 10x10. Everything is solid except for the crumbling concrete floor/foundation. The foundation is falling in pretty bad on the back side. Original thought was poor concrete to fill in the crumbling areas. It’s winter and we can’t exactly do that.

Anyone have suggestions as to how I can make this structure work to get me to spring?! Maybe board up floor and build a raised coop floor? Or should I build a coop within a coop to keep major predators away? We have just about every predator but bear

I do have ventilation in the eves but no windows as of yet. Only 4 chickens

I found a few outside pics from this summer:
189C8164-5E41-442C-A775-6E50F7174266.jpeg
63F5F1D9-C499-41D9-A242-F2968A274020.jpeg
4D2EBC16-FD32-4693-A02C-C6E9563F7178.jpeg

Inside would work, just so it is secure. You talked about insulation, how cold does it get where you are?

-20 F is the coldest usually but the windchill can be horrible at times.

I guess another option would be to build a coop to put next to the house for the winter. I could always sell it in spring once I get this larger one fixed up.

What's the problem? Foundation is open to predators, afraid of collapse, or both? If the former block off gaps with something; if the latter brace with cinder blocks or something.

Thanks! It doesn’t appear so but it is solid. The foundation being open to predators is my main concern. I’m trying to figure out if I should build a false floor of sorts or build a coop within a coop. There’s large flat boulders of concrete in there as well. Working around them might be a challenge but I’m sure the girls will love the playground

Back
Top Bottom