Prefab coop improvements

schambo

Songster
Jun 27, 2022
Atlantic Canada
I know prefab coops are not ideal, but it’s what I have. Over time, I’d like to make adjustments to it to improve it. I don’t really have the skills or time right now to build something from scratch, but I do have a good variety of scrap materials that I think I could make use of, and I’d love some suggestions.

The dimensions of the coop are 6.5’ x 2.6’ total "run space" and about 2’ x 2.6’ in the roosting area plus two 1’ x 1.3’ nest boxes.

What I’m thinking is this:
1. Add a wooden floor to the run area
2. Raise the whole thing about 0.5-1’ off the ground on blocks and add a ramp.
3. Cover the sides of the run area with plywood or something to make it all a large coop (they have plenty of outdoor space available outside the coop).
4. Cover the coop with vinyl siding that I happen to have leftover from another project.
5. Add some scrap roofing shingles to the roof of the coop.

Does any of that make sense? As I say, a brand new coop just isn’t in the cards right now; I’d like to find a way to make do with what I have.

Oh yes, and I currently have a hen (Bovans) and two pullets (barred rock and EE). I’d like to expand at some point, but realistically don’t envision having more than 6 hens total.

Attachments

• 7DC26CAF-E430-4815-907C-3D31C74AAF7A.jpeg
    7DC26CAF-E430-4815-907C-3D31C74AAF7A.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 31
  • B914AEF4-0627-443A-BE1A-2AF2EA22564D.jpeg
    B914AEF4-0627-443A-BE1A-2AF2EA22564D.jpeg
    793.6 KB · Views: 8
You've already covered most of this, but this is my default blurb on converting a mini coop & mini run into a larger coop unit:

To turn it from 2 small "boxes" (tiny coop above tiny run) into 1 bigger "box" you'll want to remove as much of the inside coop wall as possible, plus the floor. Take out the old roosts too.

Nests might be able to stay as is, or may need to be relocated elsewhere or replaced - depends on the structure of the coop and how things inside stack up once done.

Run a new roost(s) lengthwise or widthwise across the newly open space, depending on how much roost is needed. Ideally you’d like 12” per bird but 10” can suffice in many cases.

Board up some of the external wire walls so that the roost area is protected from winds and rain. Do NOT fully cover up all the wire, you need ventilation and natural light, so at the very least a few inches under the roofline should remain open. If your climate allows for it, you can leave entire walls open with just the mesh, or make it convertible for the season by covering up open walls for winter, and then uncovering for summer.

Example of a modified prefab: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-renovated-prefab-coop.1440258/

I think your plan is pretty solid for what you have to work with. It looks like there is a slide out tray so taking that out should remove most of the floor and leave it structurally sound. The side with the existing sliding pop door will need to be removed too, but should be fairly easy to just remove the wood siding. You might be able to reuse the pop door if you’re careful removing it. Depending on climate, cover as much of exterior as you need to with plywood and the rest leave hardware cloth. Be sure to leave plenty of ventilation as high up on the coop as you can get it. A piece of scrap plastic roofing or some plywood and shingles will take care of the uncovered potion of the roof. Revamp the roosting bars using a tree branch or 2x4. Good luck with your project, it’ll be a big improvement.

I covered all the wire walls on my prefab (similar to yours) with plywood and left room for ventilation, so the entire structure became the whole coop. I kept the floor dirt. I also added an extra roost inside the dirt floor area. Let me know if you want pictures, because I can get some at some point today if you want.

Strangely enough, all 4 of my hens still choose to sleep in the waaaaay too small little hen house part 😂

Anyway, it can be done. It wouldn't hurt to put a floor and raise the coop, and it's probably better that way, but I just left mine dirt and put a skirt around the edges.

Best of luck! I'll try to add some pictures of my project later if I remember. I just finished the project so I didn't take any yet.

E68F68FC-F1A2-4603-A484-D97DF2F323CF.jpeg

177430AF-9303-4A76-8DEF-C532EE2AEA19.jpeg

It’s getting there. I removed the inner wall and slide out tray. The inner wall is good, so I will reuse it on the exterior.

I live in Atlantic Canada, so warm, humid, wet summers (max about 30°C/85°F) and fairly cold and snowy in the winter (sometimes down to -20° to -10° (-4°F to 14°F) but usually hovering around -5°C/25°F)

Also, when I said roof the coop, I meant the run.

Attachments

• 41F88EF3-C9F5-4F7B-BD60-853F24300B17.jpeg
    41F88EF3-C9F5-4F7B-BD60-853F24300B17.jpeg
    815.8 KB · Views: 10
Anyway, it can be done. It wouldn't hurt to put a floor and raise the coop, and it's probably better that way, but I just left mine dirt and put a skirt around the edges.

Yeah, raising the coop and adding a floor is a long-term plan, but I have already covered the whole bottom with hardware cloth, so it’s pretty secure as it is.

View attachment 3184807
View attachment 3184811

It’s getting there. I removed the inner wall and slide out tray. The inner wall is good, so I will reuse it on the exterior.

I live in Atlantic Canada, so warm, humid, wet summers (max about 30°C/85°F) and fairly cold and snowy in the winter (sometimes down to -20° to -10° (-4°F to 14°F) but usually hovering around -5°C/25°F)

Here's a climate-appropriate link for you: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

View attachment 3184807
View attachment 3184811

Wow, removing the slide-out tray is genius! I think I'm gonna do that so they will actually wanna use the roosting bars.

Back
Top Bottom