Pregnant goat

Sheysl86

In the Brooder
Oct 3, 2017
My husband and I are new to farming. We have chickens and a few goats. We bought a doe in June. The previous owner said she was about 8 weeks pregnant. Based on that information her due date was calculated between Sept 25- Oct. 7. She hasn't gone through a heat cycle, her bag has gotten fuller (not super tight), and in the last few days her ligaments have felt softer.

Two days ago I noticed her pawing at the ground and doing a lip curl (something she has never done). She has also started doing this high pitched whine. No babies yet.

Another possibility we considered is that she wasn't pregnant when we got her, but got pregnant by the buck the first week we had her. If that is the case, she would be due next month.

What do yall think?

Attachments

• 20170929_113627.jpg
    20170929_113627.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • 20170929_095943.jpg
    20170929_095943.jpg
    722.1 KB · Views: 22
Here is a picture of when we got her on June 17. I can see some changes. Her ligaments feel softer and she has had dried white crusty stuff on her vulva for the last couple of days.

Attachments

• 20170618_125217.jpg
    20170618_125217.jpg
    722.7 KB · Views: 18
Hmmm well, I had that happen to me... there was a kid inside, but it died and the doe was not able to deliver it. Her temperature changed; first it went up then down. (Yeah. We lost her.) Check her temp. Check to see if there is any discharge.

I did learn from my experience that if that does happen, that a doe has a kid die inside her, she won't be good for breeding anymore even once you get the dead kid out. The bacterial infection scars the uterus and although she will conceive, she will not be able to implant and sustain the pregnancy. Very sad.... I do really hope that her kid is still not ready to come out and that you do not have the same experience that I did. Really hoping here... :fl

Back
Top Bottom