pregnant goat

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hobbychick, Jan 25, 2015.

1. hobbychick

hobbychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2007
    Illinois
    Hello I have a pregnant boer doe that is due I don't know when because she was bred when we bought her. Today she has some white stuff coming out of her vulva, and I'm not sure what it is. Can anyone help? I took a picture. Is she close to kidding?

2. hobbychick

hobbychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2007
    Illinois
    [​IMG]

3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    It is hard to tell. Watch her if she starts trying to stay away from the others and going off by herself or acting really off you should know it won't be to long. This is what cattle do and it imagine it is the same for goats.

4. H Diamond

H Diamond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    Start checking her ligaments now, a couple times a day if possible. This will help you know when they are gone and when to expect.
    Does "lose their mucous plug" prior to kidding. This can be a week before, it can be the day of. Generally when folks see a discharge prior to kidding this is what it is. Unless the discharge has a foul odor or is red/brown in color, it's generally not something to worry about.

Check the ligaments and monitor udder development. Then watch for her to "drop". Her belly will drop and she will hollow out below the hip bones in front of the thigh in the flank area. No ligament, a full udder, and a doe that's dropped is a doe that's going to kid shortly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by