Pregnant guinea pig... I think. 3 MO UPDATE pg. 9

Quote:
I found a breeder of Peruvians only about 3 hours away from me, in a city where we go for DH's doctor appointments. One of these days I'll have to go see them when we're there. He's a cavy judge, and has a place called Caviaria Rusticana. Doesn't look like there are too many breeders in NM that have websites, at least.

There was another in Rio Rancho, but that is 5 hours away from me, and we're very rarely there.

The only show on the NM rabbit and cavy breeders club was the state fair in September. I haven't been to the fair for probably 10 years, but now I'll have a better reason to make the trip.

His name is Peter Herman and he is one of the long time breeders and judges around. Wonderful man. Helped write most of the cavy Standard of Perfection that we follow to show. Also has some incrediable Peruvians. He is fantastic with genetics as well. You will learn a lot if you get time to speak with him. We have shown under him a couple times down here in South Texas. My kiddos love hearing his comments on pigs as he knows his stuff and is reasonable about speaking it. I believe a lot of NM people go to the club in Az, the Grand Canyon State Cavy Club. There are more breeders in that state that are great also.

Glad you found Peter. He should be interesting help if you ever need it. And if you go to a show you will have a blast.

Keep us posted on babies!

Tonight I got the piggies out and measured them. I guess it would have been easier from the beginning if I'd used their names. The one who we thought was due at the end of December is named Sunny. The other my daughter named LuLu.

Both of the girls are about 11" from nose to "tail." Sunny weighs 3lb 1/2oz. Her rib cage measures 11" around, and her belly measures 16" around. When I gently feel it, it really just feels bloated with air - almost like a balloon. Every once in a while it felt like something would bump against my hand in there, but it was very faint.

LuLu weighs 2lb 11oz. Her rib cage measured 9.5" around, and her belly was 11" around. It's hard to get accurate measurements, because she's really active and didn't want to sit still.

I got a picture of Sunny from above tonight, and one from Christmas Eve. Sorry, only camera I had to use tonight was my cell phone. Other one is still out of batteries.

First is tonight:
Sunny.jpg

Next is Christmas Eve:
PC240015.jpg

Looks like Sunny is an Abbyssinian(breed) or Abby mix in golden agouti/red/white(color or variety) she is cute!

Abbys are harder to tell from pics because they tend to have big hips that sort of make it look like she is pregnant when she may not be. But in the newer picture she does look pregnant and if you are feeling somthing moving in her tummy thats a very good sign. Her weight is also "up there" for an Abby they are not a huge breed.

Be careful with her and try not to be holding her too much, just let her eat and rest and hopefully soon you will have some baby guinea piggies running all around.

Thanks Jackie. We did know that she's an abyssinian, with all her cute little swirls. I don't know what LuLu is, as her fur is about the same length as Sunny's, but she has no cowlicks. It almost feels like human hair. Her face is also shaped differently. I'm thinking she must be a crossbreed, as I've seen no pictures of others with coats quite like hers.

We'll just wait and cross our fingers. We're anxious to get the babies here safely, if that's indeed what's going on.

UPDATE:

Still no babies. We got the girls out tonight (very gently) to measure them. Sunny weighs 3 pounds, 5.5 ounces. Her belly has grown to 17" around. That's 5 ounces and an inch gained in 10 days.

Lulu weighed 2 pounds, 12 ounces, and her belly was 12" around. That's an ounce and an inch gained in 10 days.

Sunny is getting huge. I took a video with my old digital camera (no sound), and it's kind of dark, but you can see Sunny's shape okay.

Sunny is big! I can see her waddling in the video. Babies probably pretty soon. I would just make sure she is getting plenty of "the good stuff" and not handle her too much. Shes got a big belly going there from what I can see.

Lulu is an American or AmericanX and she may not be pregnant. If she is she has a long time to go or a small litter.

One of my sweet rescues had babies awhile back she was so cute had two boys so fun. I feed them and then ran my son to school gone max 15 minutes got back and the babies where there sweet things I love how they look like little adults and eat right away. Make sure they have good pellets no junk in it just pellets a never ending supply of Timothy Hay and daily freash food. Mom needs extra calicim. This my get me yelled at thou my vet who is a top of the line vet had me crush tums for her once a day out on her food.

I've heard of giving them crushed Tums for calcium, but at this point she's getting alfalfa for calcium. She's really getting huge! I'm still not feeling obvious babies, though, like I do with mama cats. This is a new experience for us... hopefully she has babies soon, or she'll explode!

Back
Top Bottom