Pregnant guinea pig... I think. 3 MO UPDATE pg. 9

awwwww, what a cute little baby!

I am sorry the others didnt make it but with that many she is lucky that she was able to carry them long enough for the one to make it.

They sit ontop of their babies to nurse so if you see him/her tucked up underneath mom, its proably nursing.

I am sorry to hear about the little ones that didn't make it. The survivor Lucky is sure a cutey! I tried raising them once, built a special three tier cage for them complete with enclosed nesting box area. I had the boar in one cage and the two sows in another. My one pregnant sow had a litter of three, all were stillborn and one even looked like it had been chewed on.

I may still get some again one day. I have always liked them, alot better than hamsters and mice and rats.

I had a guinea pig have 9 babies. She was so big in the belly that she could only get 1 back leg on the ground at a time. When she moved it was kinda like swimming across the cage. I felt really bad for her because she was so big (and looked very uncomfortable). All her babies survived too. Guinea pig babies start eating pellets and veggies within hours of birth. They are designed to survive in the wild without the mother if she should happen to die. When they nurse all you will see is the baby sticking his nose under her back leg at the flank area. Her nipple points in that direction so you may not even realize the baby is nursing.

Wow! I have NEVER heard of a guinea pig having that many babies! I thought the norm was 2. That's amazing.

Quote:
I can't imagine 9 little piggies running around. It sure would have been fun to have 7. Even two would have been great. I'm afraid one little baby will bored, with no buddies to play with...

Congrats on one adorable baby! I know it is hard to loose the rest, but sometimes they just come too quickly for Mama to keep up. While we were gone this past while my girlfriend was taking care of our herd of guinea pigs. We had a sow have 8 babies and only one survived also. Just a lot. We have had litters of 7 and 8 before that all babies survived and thrived. You just never know. Enjoy your little one!

Back
Top Bottom