Pregnant guinea pig... I think. 3 MO UPDATE pg. 9

Can you explain to me what you mean by the term popcorn, please. And if the baby was entered in a show, would the red mark be a disqualifying mark on it? I have ordered some books on cavies from our library to study up on before I go out and buy some.

Thanks

Popcorning is where the pig will run around jumping over and over. Most times they shake their head also. It is a happy activity they do. Ours tend to do so when they are fed their favorite treat or when their cages are cleaned. It is a site to see so many on cleaning day! LOL

If you really want to learn about showing and the standards followed by exhibitors and judges you need to purchase "The Standard of Perfection" from the American Rabbit Breeder's Association. ARBA. You can also find that book through Bunnyrabbit.com or WoodyWabbit. I always recommend that someone interested in raising and showing should purchase the book "Your Guinea Pig; A Kid's Guide to Raising and Showing" by Wanda Curran. It is an older book and not as up to date on the Standard, but is FULL of information for raising and an idea of what to do when you show. And a very handy reference guide for sexing and health care.

This baby most likely is not showable due to it's rosette pattern not being complete more so than it's coloration. However, I still have yet to find a truly ugly cavy. And this baby of Jossanne's is one super cute one!

Quote:
If it were a rabbit, it would be called a Binky instead of popcorn...they jump up and twist and shout...hehehe no shouting. jk
lau.gif

Quote:
If you want to get show quality piggies to show, find a show in your area and go to one so that you can talk to breeders and see actual show quality piggies that they can go over and tell you why or why not a piggie would do well up on the show table. You can also see different breeds and talk to different people in person to decide if a certain cavy is right for you, even if you decide just to keep pets its a great way to learn.

You just barely missed the biggest show for rabbits and cavies the ARBA(American rabbit Breeders Assoc.) puts on each year and it looks like it was in your own backyard! The 2008 National Convention just this past nov. was in Louisville, KY There were around 600 Cavies shown.

Yeah I know I just missed it as it is usually held right after the National Young Bird Show for Pigeons. I'll have to check the dates for the fairgrounds and see what they have scheduled. In any case, I do plan to study up a bit before I make the final decision, as I do have a few other things on my plate at the moment.

Thanks for the advice.

I thought I'd show you how cute the baby is turning out to be. He has the best hairdo ever. He's 3 months old now, as of Sunday.

Here's Lucky today:
P6090037.jpg

P6090036.jpg

Back
Top Bottom