Pregnant Nigerian Dwarf...How Much Grain to Feed?

The breeder mine are coming from says 1/4 cup of grain per day for non milking/open does and up to 2 cups per day for milking/pregnant does. I have read that the developing kids don't make mom need much more than normal until the final few months of gestation...
Where is Helmstead? *looks around*

Here, everybody gets a cup of grain and alfalfa pellets every day. A couple of months prior to the projected due date, I start upping their grain gradually until they are getting a total of 5 cups of grain a day and keep that up until the kids are weaned, typically at 2 months of age.

Hi,
The first thing is you need to ask the person you got her from if and how much she was feeding her. Than if she wasnt start very slowly with a hand full of grain and work up. If you just give her grain and lots of it to start she will get very very sick.
Cheri

Thank you!

We have an Agway locally. I looked up the feed I bought and this is the breakdown.....how does it look? Are there any suppliments I should add?

Crude Protein Min. 16%*
Crude Fat Min. 3%
Crude Fiber Max. 8%
Calcium Min. 1%…Max. 1.5%
Phosphorus Min. 0.73%
Salt Min. 0.6%…Max. 0.9%
Sodium Min. 0.25%…Max. 0.3%
Selenium Min. 0.6% PPM
Copper Min. 22 PPM… Max. 24 PPM
Vitamin A Min. 4994 IU/LB
Vitamin E Min. 9 IU/LB

FEEDING DIRECTIONS
REPLACEMENT ANIMALS & DRY PREGNANT DOES: Feed Dairy Goat Feed at the rate of 1 to 2 LB per head per day with free choice of good to excellent hay or pasture. Offer free choice salt at all times.

LACTATING DOES: Feed at the rate of 1 LB of Dairy Goat Feed for each 2 LB of milk produced per day along with free choice of good to excellent hay or pasture. Offer free choice salt at all times.

Provide plenty of fresh, clean water at all times.

DO NOT EXCEED 50% OF TOTAL DRY MATTER INTAKE FROM THIS FEED.

CAUTION: THIS FEED CONTAINS SUPPLEMENTAL COPPER. DO NOT FEED TO SHEEP.

Last edited:
I just called the man I bought her from and she was getting around 2 cups in the AM and PM (close to 4 cups total) He went by weight more than amount. So I guess I should weigh it out and see what it comes up to???

Last edited:
Per head would be per goat...or for each goat
wink.png

wow..so 1-2 pounds per day! that seems like alot to me...go weigh it out and see how many cups it is for me!
lau.gif
now i want to know....
pop.gif
and hurry up....
tongue.png

Very pretty girl you got there...hopefully she has some friends with her or she will be a sad girl soon...I feed mine 2x a day and mine love it and arent too fat. If you plan on milking her then start feeding her on the milk stand, that way it wont be a shock when it comes time...I would give 1 cup of grain and 1 cup of oats and 2 cups alfalfa pellets 2x daily...this is basically what I do...I milk my goats.

Back
Top Bottom