Pregnant OR Worms???

craftymama86

Songster
9 Years
Oct 31, 2010
On the side of a knoll...
We just bought 3 Pygmies recently and the female looks bony around the hip area and her belly is quite "full" looking. She does have a buckling who's about a month old. I don't know how often goats reproduce but is it possible she's pregnant again or is it more likely she has worms? If pictures are needed I'll try to take some, they move around a lot, lol.

Thanks!

Since you just bought them and don't know their history, I would say a good worming would be in order. I would ask my vet first since she has a kid and see if you should wait until she has weaned her baby.

Quote:
Goats are pregnant for around 5 months and it's highly unlikely she would have bred so soon after kidding anyway. Plus she would not be showing yet. Pictures would help though, regarding her overall condition

Have you tried Diatomateous Earth? also known as DE) This is an all natural powder that consists of prehistoric diatoms is about the consistancy of flour and I put it on or in all my animal feed. Does not cause any complications, parasites can not become immune to DE as it is a mechanical wormer and not a chemical wormer. I even give it to my husband from time to time in his muffins. (he dodes not know LOL) I do use food grade and Kalmbach Feeds does carry it.

Well, it's common sense that sh couldn't be pregnant because she just had her kidd one month ago, and she wouldn't be pregnant again so soon. Even if she somehow was I don't think it would be that noticable.
It's probably worms.

Back
Top Bottom