Pregnant pig

Greekgirl357

Hatching
Jan 28, 2022
We had some wild pigs pass thru and tear down the fence and my female was roaming with them in the yard. I do believe she pregnant as this happened in late October. If so I figure she due mid February. Any opinions, she will be 1 year in March. Wasnt planning on having piglets as I have 2 females. But am excited if she is.

Attachments

• 20220122_152306.jpg
    20220122_152306.jpg
    758.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220122_152259.jpg
    20220122_152259.jpg
    764.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220122_152245.jpg
    20220122_152245.jpg
    666.3 KB · Views: 3
We had some wild pigs pass thru and tear down the fence and my female was roaming with them in the yard. I do believe she pregnant as this happened in late October. If so I figure she due mid February. Any opinions, she will be 1 year in March. Wasnt planning on having piglets as I have 2 females. But am excited if she is.
Wild pigs? As in they aren't yours, or actual wild boars?
What do you mean?

I don’t have pigs, I tagged Cherrynberry because she has a lot of experience with pigs.
also, welcome to BYC! :welcome
I don't have a LOT of experience actually. It would be a lot easier to know she is pregnant with a teaser boar, but if she is actually pregnant, you will start to see signs soon. I would watch for nesting behaviors and drops of milk. I don't think she looks ready yet. Once they are really close, you will notice that they get up and lay down slowly, you will notice drops of milk, and you will see that they are trying to find a place to give birth. Swine almost always give birth on, or really close to their due dates, and mostly on late nights or early mornings. When you start seeing drops of milk, you have 1-2 days on your clock, make sure to set timers to check on her. Its seems that 3:00am in the morning and 9:00pm at night are common times to give birth, but that is just an estimate. I assume this is her first time, so she is a gilt? Also, is she a Pot Belly pig? Do you have an area for her to give birth? Keep in mind that it needs to be "spotless". I recommend using shavings, they would need to be changed out daily.

Personally, I think that if you are going to have her give birth, you need to give her the best chances. I recommend having a vet on the phone, as many first-time mothers may require pulling. And of course, prepare for the worst, that way, you don't need to worry bout a thing.

I have never owned a pot belly though, so I hope someone else could jump in and help with that.

Yes wild pigs. It's hard to tell, I believe she's part pot belly part wild. She was pretty lean til about 3 weeks ago and I noticed her nipples grew longer. She still very active and very friendly. I just can't tell for sure, guess we will know in 3 weeks or so

@cherrynberry Gave you some wonderful advice. I second calling a vet out. You can also request an ultrasound or blood test depending on how far along she is, to have some idea of what's going on with the piglets (or if she is indeed really pregnant).

Any livestock can encounter problems with pregnancy, so it's always great to have an experienced vet on hand who can come out in case of emergency.

You also may want to have bottle feeding supplies and emergency supplies for the birth and piglets ready beforehand. In the event she can't feed the piglets properly or something goes wrong with one, it helps to have everything prepared.

Yes wild pigs. It's hard to tell, I believe she's part pot belly part wild. She was pretty lean til about 3 weeks ago and I noticed her nipples grew longer. She still very active and very friendly. I just can't tell for sure, guess we will know in 3 weeks or so
Hmm. That's really odd. So where did you get her from?

We have wild boars here too, but I have never seen one get near our animals.

Back
Top Bottom