1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pregnant Rabbit?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by incubatingisfun, Jan 23, 2011.

1. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    She has lived with a buck her whole life but i never seen them mate.Yesterday i threw some hay in there and she started making a nest so i brought her inside and she hasnt done anything but stretch out and pant.she also attacked the male she has been with for almost a year.Do you think she is pregnant my friend does but i am not sure.If she has babys i will try to post a pic.Thanks.

Tyler

2. imtc

imtc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    sounds like she could be. I'm surprised they've been together that long and she hasn't yet. The behaviors you described are that of a nesting doe although if she doesn't produce a litter in 24 hours I'd think it was false. Can you gently feel her belly and tell if it's larger than normal. If you are careful you should be able to feel kits if she has any. She will also pull hair and line the hay nest so watch for that too. Good luck.

3. incubatingisfun

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    Thanks my friend was very suprised too. yesterday she pulled a little bit but hasnt pulled any since.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Any updates?
    When I gave my doe rabbit a bunch of hay in her cage she exhibited 'nesting' behaviors with the hay as well. She had a nice cozy little spot all made out for herself. Up until this point she had never been with the buck, so it was very odd.

5. incubatingisfun

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    Today she pulled a bunch of fur so maybe soon

6. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Usually by that point you can feel the kits by gently palpating her tummy. They feel like little oval lumps.

7. incubatingisfun

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    thanks i tried that yesterday thought i felt somthing but could not tell for sure

8. reliant601

reliant601 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2010
    New Jersey
    Sounds to me she is pregnant. [​IMG]

Post pictures!

Also how old is the doe and what breed?

9. incubatingisfun

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    I cant get a pic she is a 9 month old rex

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  10. reliant601

reliant601 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2010
    New Jersey
    That isn't bad then. If she was older or younger then she would have complications but sometimes does that are first time litters *may* have complications. Just keep checking [​IMG] I love mini rexes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by