Pregnant stray cat

FortWorthChicks

Songster
10 Years
Nov 21, 2009
Fort Worth
There is a sweet kitty that has decided she has found a home here in my yard. I caught her in the garage and well I feed her.

I noticed she is preggo. Like about to bust. I didn't see her today so I wonder if she had the kittens. I want to catch her and get her fixed and then do the same for the others when they get old enough. I figure I will need some cats out in Crowley but I don't want to add to the over population of cats.

I always adopt my cats or wrather they always adopt me and I want to keep her.

What are yalls thoughts. I am planning on looking into getting a discount for helping a stray bunch.

fl.gif

Last edited:
Around here there are organizations that do strays for free... google "trap, neuter, release programs" in your area. They usually will come out and catch them, then take them to a vet, and bring them back - all for you for free.

If that doesn't work... call all around your area to see if you can get a discount from the vet or even from shelters.

I have the same issue right now. I had a stray show up. I fell in love with her, but I think she is preggo too... I'm going to let her have them before I fix her... she is far along (if she is). She is so small herself, I'm betting that the litter won't be big. She is tiny and young. Maybe she is just round with worms... she was just bones when she showed up.

I'm glad to hear you are kind to the kitty. I have heard so many horror stories about people being mean to cats. Why do some people hate them so? It doesn't make sense to me. My mother's theory (she's convinced) is that people who are control freaks can't handle being around cats.... because you can't control a cat. The cat controls you.
wink.png

She literally lives by this rule. Raised me to never trust someone who doesn't like cats. And I have always lived by it myself. Take that how you would like it.

Last edited:
Thanks! I would not mind keeping her and her litter. I just want to be sure I can get them all fixed. These cats will have work at my new place killing field rats and mice
big_smile.png

I am pretty sure she is hidden out somewhere with her kittens now as she did not show up again today. I am thinking they could be in my neighbors yard or in an abandon house two doors down.

I am going to follow your advise on the trap neuter program.

This kitty is not the petting kind. She will not let me get more than a couple feet from her before she darts off but I feel like I am gaining her trust.

Good luck with your baby kitty momma- if she knows where the food and water is she'll come back I bet. Can you take a walk around the neighborhood and listen for
the mewing of kittens? Nursing babies is hungry and thirsty work and if she sees that you are a food person who means no harm she'll warm up to you given time.
fl.gif

We had one show up here in the neighborhood who was wild and before I could catch her with our Have-A-Heart trap she
got preggers. We finally coaxed her inside with treats but it's taken a lot of convincing but it was well worth it to know she'll have her kittens inside where we can tame them
and get them to the vet for spay/neuter and shots. She's ready to pop sometime in the next week I'm guessing. Anybody in the DFW area looking to adopt a darling kitten
in about 9 weeks?

Quote:
I totally agree with your mom! Most of the people I know who don't like cats feel that way because they are so aloof. Cats like to do their own thing, and they will reward you with their affection when they feel like it! Some people take that 'cattitude' personally.

Regarding the pregnant kitty- someone dropped a sweetheart pregnant cat at the farm where I used to work, so I adopted her and the 4 kittens last year, planning to bring them to my house. I made calls to all the vet clinics around here to get prices for 4 spays and 1 neuter, and was consistently given a price of $150-$200 for each cat! I was like, come on, don't you give a bulk discount! They all told me to contact the local humane society. The humane society told me that, in order to alter that many cats, I would have to apply to be a "Feral Cat Caregiver" and then they would capture the cats, spay and neuter at a reduced rate, ear notch them, and return them to the farm where they had to stay for the rest of their natural life. They also wanted all kinds of personal information about my life history and income level... I said no thanks.
I finally found a place out of state that did spays for $65 and neuters for $45 and they did the BEST job I've ever seen! In short, if you can't find anyone willing to help nearby, it pays to shop around elsewhere. I happily drove an hour to save a couple hundred bucks (and the kitties are happy too!)

ETA: And kudos to you for doing the right thing and getting the cat and kittens fixed!
smile.png

Last edited:
My exgf had a stray cat hanging around the microfarm...and that's how I got my precious little Chico Peep...

e3737f44583f.jpg

The other kitty died a couple days after birth.
sad.png

5e050fd7833c.jpg
7aeda0bed09f.jpg

d866c814eaca.jpg
4d58fd066138.jpg

We have a local non-profit org. that gives vouchers for $10 spays/neuters, so that was a huge help. We also tested mama kitty for FeLV/FIV and bought vaccines from the feed store.

Good luck and enjoy your new kittehs.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom