Premature Chick

chickensrule73

Hatching
Dec 25, 2021
Hello.

This morning a chick was brought into the house from the chicken coop. The egg was cracked, and it was believed that the mother had stepped on the egg and the chick started to hatch. The chick is completely out of the egg, there is a lot of blood and appears to be no yolk. It has been approximately 15 hours since the chick has hatched. I don't own an incubator and usually let nature takes it course however need assistance please. The chick is chirping and moves mainly one leg, it hasn't stood up and is still attached to the umbilical cord. I have no experience in looking after chicks. Currently he/she is placed in a plastic container under a heat light. We've placed it over a heat bag and covered the container with a paper towel as to not blind or hurt the chick. I am wondering what to do and it would be highly appreciated to get answers quickly so I know how to take proper care of the chick if capable. (warning: blood)

Attachments

• IMG20211225230529.jpg
    IMG20211225230529.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20211225_230459.jpg
    IMG_20211225_230459.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG20211225230535.jpg
    IMG20211225230535.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 31
When I've had hatchlings with unhealed navels - like this one - I like to dab a bit of antibiotic ointment (without pain reliever) on the area, and then place them in a cup to facilitate healing of the navel and absorption of any remaining yolk.

It may be necessary to remove the eggshell and any remaining attachments (like dried membrane) later, but for now, I'd very carefully scoop everything up, taking care not to let anything pull on the umbilical area, and place the chick in a cup in the brooder you've set up. Use a dry paper towel as a cup liner and to provide some softness for the chick, if you'd like to.

It'll be important to keep the chick at about 99.5F, as chicks of this age have difficulty thermoregulating. Do you have a thermometer to monitor the temperature in the brooder?

Best wishes for your Christmas chick!

When I've had hatchlings with unhealed navels - like this one - I like to dab a bit of antibiotic ointment (without pain reliever) on the area, and then place them in a cup to facilitate healing of the navel and absorption of any remaining yolk.

It may be necessary to remove the eggshell and any remaining attachments (like dried membrane) later, but for now, I'd very carefully scoop everything up, taking care not to let anything pull on the umbilical area, and place the chick in a cup in the brooder you've set up. Use a dry paper towel as a cup liner and to provide some softness for the chick, if you'd like to.

It'll be important to keep the chick at about 99.5F, as chicks of this age have difficulty thermoregulating. Do you have a thermometer to monitor the temperature in the brooder?

Best wishes for your Christmas chick!
@chickensrule73 Welcome To BYC

@FoodFreedomNow has given good advice, this is what I would try.
Hopefully the chick will gain some strength. Sometimes when it's early like this the chick won't make it, but you are doing all you can.

Please keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom